Chapter 10

"Then you are also descended from the bloodline of the god Degei, are you a member of the divine people?" Nete asked.

Aleks was confused, he didn't know how to answer.

"Degei? Divine people?" asked Aleks.

The village elder cleared his throat and began to speak. "My son, let's sit by the campfire, and we'll tell you the story of your people."

Aleks nodded, then he and Belial stood up and made themselves comfortable on a log around the fire. All the villagers sat in a circle around the fire and waited for the village elder to begin to speak.

"There are different stories of how our people came into being, but our creator is the god Degei. It all started with a simple boat trip.

According to myth, huge war canoes from Tanganyika (a town north of Egypt) brought the first settlers to Fiji. The leader of the sailors was a warrior chieftain named Lutunasobasoba and his general Degei. They sailed on the double-hulled canoe Kaunitoni. According to legend, the Armada carried a sacred relic called Katonimana, which means "box of blessing".

Lutunasobasoba and his people sailed in search of a mythological island with lush seas and rich land, created by the gods, where the chief's people could rest after years of wandering.

Half of the ships were separated during the voyage, but the rest made it to Fiji. While trying to find a safe passage into the waters of Fiji, the sailors found the Momi Passage, which is still used by large ocean-going vessels today.

Around the islands around Matamanoa, Mana and Likuliku, the Armada encountered a storm. The high seas threw the Katonimana overboard. Believing it was the will of the gods, Lutunasobasoba told his people to leave it alone. It is believed that the box is still there, protected by two giant clams.

Degei is said to have returned to the Mamanuca Islands later in his life to try to recover the Katonimana. It is said that he found the box and a large diamond right next to it. He took the diamond and was immediately transformed into a snake with a diamond pattern on his head. He was cursed to live forever as a serpent, trapped in the Sawa-i-lau caves in the Yasawa archipelago.

As a newborn god, Degei led a solitary life who had only a falcon named Turukawa as a friend. One day, Turukawa disappeared and Degei went in search of her. He came across Turukawa's bird's nest, where he found two abandoned eggs, which he immediately brought to his own house to care for.

After several weeks of nesting, the eggs hatched to reveal two tiny human bodies. Degei raised them, grew plants to feed them, and told them stories that revealed the nature of all things.

These people were the first members of the divine people – Degei's people. They had hair the color of the sun and fair skin. Unlike the other people, they were born with a peaceful and loving mind and were pure in heart.

My tribe was chosen as the protector of this group of people, who loved Degei so much, because only a member of the divine people is able to find the Katonimana. The Qarase family is the last family from this line and we thought it ended with the two sisters Sereana and Sovaia Qarase. But as the gods would have it, they have continued it and a son has returned to the bosom of our land."

Aleks followed the elder's story spellbound. I am descended from a divine lineage of the serpent god Degei? He knew that Aleks belonged to a people loved by the supreme god. Did they mean the supreme god by Degei? Was it Katonimana that he was supposed to find? Was it, perhaps, this holy relic, perhaps the third key, or a clue as to where it was?

Aleks' thoughts ran wild, and so did Belial's. Bel, this relic Katonimana could be a clue to the key. It cannot be a coincidence that I am brought here and, according to their stories, that I belong to the people of this God.