Chapter 34

About a year earlier...

Belial sat in front of the bed where his angel slept. He had taken his right hand in his and pressed it to his mouth. The wounds were devastating. Half of Aleks' right wing was missing and there was about a two-fist size hole in his hip, so that the hip bone could be seen. Even if the wounds weren't bleeding and bandaged, they would take a long time to heal. It took months to regenerate a limb, if they did at all.

An angel who can't fly. This thought hit Belial hard, because he didn't know if Aleks would be able to handle it. But Belial didn't care, he just wanted his lover to wake up. He had to hear his soft voice, see his laughter, those eyes filled with love. He just needed Aleks, but he was asleep. His ghost was far away.

It's all my fault, I couldn't protect him. Belial was a powerful S-rank demon, a potential contender for the throne, and yet he had not been able to protect his heart. What had he fought for, worked for all his life? But these accusations only made it worse.

So that's how Lucan felt when Zack came back injured. No one who wasn't in the same situation could understand this pain. Only Lucan could understand him, could understand his pain.

Astaroth entered with Sai in his arms, sat down on the other side of the bed. "This is your mother, Sai. He's sleeping a little, but he'll wake up soon," he said softly to the baby, waving his hands in the direction of Aleks. Astaroth knew what Sai wanted and carefully placed him on Aleks' left wing next to his head.

Sai squeaked and snuggled into the soft feathers.

A brief smile appeared on Belial's face, but immediately gave way to the impenetrable expression to hide the pain.

Sai turned a little and put his hand on Aleks' face. The baby's laughter turned into a quiet cry. Sai patted his mother's face several times and then the tears flowed.

Astaroth understood why. Sai couldn't connect with Aleks and that scared him. Carefully, he lifted the little one back up and put his hand on his own cheek. He sent the baby positive emotions and thoughts. Slowly, he calmed down again.

"Thank you for being there for Sai. I am a horrible mate and father," Belial said softly, without taking his eyes off Aleks.

"No, you're not. Nobody can cope with something like this so easily. You can always count on me and the others," the Hellprince said.

"I'm scared. What if he doesn't wake up? What if his heart just stops beating? I'm afraid to leave his side for even a second, but I have to take care of Sai. He needs a father who is strong and there for him."

The despair in Belial's voice touched Astaroth. He had never seen him in such a miserable situation. "He's not going to die, he's too stubborn for that. Take the time you need."

Belial was silent, not letting go of Alek's hand.

It took weeks for Belial to be able to be separated from Aleks for a few hours. Sai became his constant, keeping him in the here and now.

Two weeks after the start of Aleks' sleep...

"We have no choice," Astaroth said. Lucan and Belial nodded.

Two weeks ago, Aleks had spoken the last prophecy and everyone had heard it. Chaos had broken out, for the carriers and keys had now been found. They couldn't hide it anymore.