68 - The Angel and the Lap Pillow

" I never thought we would be in the same class."

It was after dinner when Amane commented while lazing around on the sofa like usual. "Yes." Mahiru smiled as she sat next to him.

They were being very close to each other, and Amane's heart raced for some reason. However, Mahiru did not show such a reaction; perhaps she had no thoughts about this.

"I am happy too. Chitose-san will be with us."

"It'll be noisy with her around."

"Yes. It does seem like a fun year."

"I think the class will be really noisy though. We'll have the Angel, the Prince, and the idiot couple that's Itsuki and Chitose. For good or bad, we have all the attention here."

The Angel and the Prince were very popular with both boys and girls. Those of the same genders were somewhat envious at them, but the popularity arising from their outstanding appearances, abilities and personalities heavily outweighed them.

The couple Itsuki and Chitose too were famous throughout the entire school year. It happened because they were often fooling around in school, and also because they had decent appearances, and garnered much attention.

Also, they were the moodmakers of their classes, and were extremely popular among the students.

With them around, all the attention would be centered upon this class, and the homeroom teacher would have much trouble. The quartet themselves were fine, but there would surely be chaos. That teacher would have to be mentally prepared.

"...You dislike it, Amane-kun?"

"Not really. It looks like you guys will be happy."

"Are you not thinking about joining in?"

"Me? I just want to spend my time normally. Probably chit-chat with Itsuki, but if nothing's going on, I'll probably talk to you or Kadowaki. I don't really interact with you outside, so if we suddenly do, there's going to be lots of suspicions."

As a guy, Amane could possibly have some interaction with Kadowaki. It would be impossible if it was Mahiru however, for she was the prettiest girl in school.

He did not want to be deemed a shameless fool chasing after her just because they talked.

And thus, he did not want to talk to her.

Despite that, Mahiru pursed her lips, looking displeased. Amane showed a wry smile, not knowing what to do.

"Why are you unhappy?"

"...Nothing."

Surely there was something, but Amane knew she was in a bad mood, so he patted her head.

"...You are not trying to throw me off by patting my back, no?"

"...Not at all."

"But I am rather happy. I shall let you off for today."

"Thanks."

It seemed Mahiru had been sufficiently coaxed.

She looked relaxed after Amane patted her on the head, as though she was eating sweet honey. Amane found it difficult to stare at her.

The blissful emotions was conveyed through her face, and he felt happy yet ashamed, unable to calm down.

"You really like headpats, huh?"

Only recently did Amane learn that Mahiru really liked to be headpatted by Amane.

"Amane-kun, you hand is warm. it feels comforting."