INH-Chapter 3: what is the human condition?

Himiko pov

For as long as I can remember...

I have always loved the color red...

It wasn't until I visited the doctor at the age of five that I learned why...

My quirk was very different from those around me...

While some kids got extra arms, animal traits, super strength, or laser vision...

I got something different...

Something I would later see as beautiful...

But my parents thought otherwise...

I needed to consume human blood. That was my quirks requirement. I had to do it frequently in order to survive because, similar to when a person starves themselves and the body begins to eat itself, I need blood to maintain my sanity.

My parents were disgusted with me when the doctor told them this. They hated me with all their heart, but I didn't choose to be this way...

No, they are the ones that made me...

They decided to give me life...

I didn't ask to be born a monster...

For six years, they had me locked in their basement, barely feeding me food, just enough to keep up appearances...

But no blood, the thing I need most...

I was slowly going insane...

So I started to feed off myself...

It worked for a time, slightly driving off the hunger, but it stopped working after a while...

One day, I found a dead bird on my way back to that accursed prison. It's blood so beautiful, the mere sight of it made my mouth dry. The thirst and hunger that I had grown to ignore and buried inside had come back with a fury...

I couldn't help myself...

I was so hungry...

So thirsty...

It was the first taste of blood other than my own that I had. The first blood I ever truly tasted...

And it was from a rotting animal corpse...

It tasted divine at the time...

But to a starving man, even shit tastes like chocolate...

I arrived back home covered in blood...

And for that, the next month was agony...

I was no longer allowed outside...

Every day was started with a beating, followed by being force-fed a putrid blended up mix of dead rats and birds through a tube they strapped to my mouth...

The entire time they fed me, they would scream it was my fault...

That I was demon...

That I cursed them...

That I needed to be fixed...

It was hell...

But it would continue well into the night, beatings started at 4 am and ended at 11:30 pm...

It wasn't until one day, Father had come in drunk, the putrid smell of alcohol wafting off of him...

He had taken me out of the chair they strapped me too so I couldn't escape...

At first, he simply held me, whispering apologizes, saying it was his fault, and he was sorry. Peppering me in kisses and hugs...

Then his kissing...