Chapter 18

Jennie tried to keep her hands still as she sat in the truck, watching the houses go past as they drove, Lisa muttering at street signs and house numbers as she tried to find her way.

She glanced over at Lisa, leaning forward in her seat as she squinted through windshield. The streetlights flashed dull yellow over her face, sharp and harsh against the squared jaw, nose with it's evidence of healing poorly from an old break, lines under her eyes unlike what any girl their age should have. A couple faded scars dotted amongst her freckles, lips pouted forward in thought as she muttered to herself. Jennie blamed the movement for drawing her attention, watching as Lisa silently mouthed out the names and numbers of the streets and houses they passed, almost hypnotically.

She's going to catch you staring, Jennie chided herself, blinking hard to break the spell. As if on cue, Lisa glanced over to see Jennie looking in her direction, and grinned lightly.

"We're not lost." She said with amusement, as if Jennie's stare was out of concern about the trip and not... everything that was wrong with Jennie's thoughts.

"Even if we are, whole place is a big circle, we'll find it." Bambam drawled behind him, reminding them both that he was there as well. Jennie chuckled and fiddled with the rolled of sleeve of her top.

They finally came across the house, obvious in what was happening with party looking to be well underway as they pulled up among the other cars and trucks parked half in the ditch. Unlike the party in the larger house they had attended before, this one was in a short bungalow, lights on in every room and guests spilling out over the front lawn to chat and smoke and raise cans and bottles with slurred laughter. A reindeer, either from a leftover Christmas display or dragged out of a garage from storage for the occasion, seemed to be a popular item as a few groups gathered around, posing and taking photos with cameras.

Lisa parked the truck and turned off the engine, looking over at Jennie and glancing back at Bambam as she spoke. "Alright, let's try to have fun."

Bambam snorted loudly as Lisa left the truck cab and walked over to Jennie's side, reaching out a hand to help her down. As Bambam crawled out after and dusted his knees off when they were standing on the grass, Jennie kept her grip on Lisa's hand. Lisa didn't seem to be bothered but gave her a gentle squeeze and slipped her hand away, shoving both into her jacket pocket.

"Ready for your first Vandal party?" Lisa asked, giving her a slight nudge with her shoulder. Her tone was teasing, but there was something in her expression, nervousness. Jennie smiled warmly in return.

"Ready for my first party in the Boombayah, yes." She said with a slight correction. Both Lisa and Bambam let out little huffs and the three of them walked up the lawn. Bambam waved greetings to a couple of other teens but Lisa stayed quiet, sticking close to Jennie, which Jennie was rather grateful for. They went inside, to the loud bass of music thudding through the halls and an absurd amount of people sitting and standing around.

With a "see ya round" Bambam disappeared into the crowd and Lisa gave Jennie another nudge.

"Wanna drink?" She asked. "I can probably find regular soda or-"

"Beer." Jennie said quickly. "I think a beer would be fine."

"You wanna..?" Lisa blinked at her like Jennie has just proposed streaking. "You sure you want," she let out a little laugh, and looked almost... relieved? "Yeah, okay, let's grab some beers."

"I've had alcohol before." Jennie sniffed slightly as she followed Lisa into the kitchen. Lisa laughed.

"Like a bit of wine at dinner with your folks?"

Jennie pointedly didn't reply.

Lisa didn't say anything further, but from behind Jennie could see her cheeks rise with that teasing, smirking grin, and Jennie grinned back, wrinkling her nose.