Chapter 27

"Ugh, come on Li, we have to go!"

Ella groaned impatiently, banging her head against the doorframe of the bathroom hard enough to make loud thudding noises. The sound of something falling with a clatter and her sister cursing came from the other side of the door, followed by more clatter and a running tap.

Then the water shut off and the door opened, Lisa's head poking out. She had clearly been working on trying to style her hair, which she had recently cut a bit shorter. She'd kept the side shave (she told Ella Jennie liked running her fingers over it, gross) and the rest was now this embarrassing messy bang style that she was clearly trying to make look effortless. She had also put on eyeliner, something else she'd learned to do because Jennie liked it (Ella resisted the urge to gag) and some dark eyeshadow, probably because Jennie liked that too.

Gross.

Lisa looked to frown down at Ella. "We still have like thirty minutes, why are you fucking rushing?"

"I need to get my makeup done." Ella said, as if that were obvious.

Lisa rolled her eyes. "Bedroom's not good enough?"

As if.

"No! The light is fucking awful in there, now move." Not unkindly, Ella shoved and jostled her sister aside to make it into the small cramped bathroom. She shut the door behind her, a little too loudly, and knew very well Lisa was rolling her eyes and smirking on the other side.

"Why do you care so much about yours, it's not your graduation?" Came Lisa's voice through the door.

Ella snorted as she began to apply her own eyeshadow. "Uh, because every day I need to look good? Besides, dad got that new camera and is gonna take, like, three million pictures. I don't want to look back on these memories and retch."

Lisa's chuckle came through clearly, and she said nothing else, the soft thuds against the carpet indicating she had walked away. Ella mused and hummed to herself as she continued to apply her beauty routine when a louder knock thudded out from the closed door.

"Hurry up, dingus." Bambam's voice came from the other side. Ella sneered at the wooden barrier.

"Every time you bother me I'm just going to move slower." She called out in a singsong voice. Bambam audibly groaned.

"Fuck off Elle, I gotta take a leak."

Ella continued to draw her eyeliner, sniffing with all the Pinksy pettiness she'd learned from Jennie. "Maybe if you're nice to me."

"Dad!"

Dad's voice was immediate and right outside - he must've been passing by right at Bambam's lucky moment. "Ella, let the boy use the toilet." He said firmly.

Rolling her eyes and capping her mascara, Ella whipped open the door with a perfected sneer. "Fine. But if I ever go missing, do not show today's pictures on the news because I'm sure they're going to be terrible."

Grumbling, she made her way to the kitchen where Lisa and Lucas were seated at the table and eating from the celebratory fruit tray dad had picked up. Ella reached over to grab a strawberry, biting off the fruit just under the leaf stem.

"So think you'll getting some kind of award today?" Lucas was asking. Lisa looked confused.

"For what?"

An extremely slow smile Lucas was clearly trying to hide passed over his face. "For not burning down the school all year."

Lisa snorted and threw half her cantelope piece at the boy, who blocked it with a laugh. Lisa reached into the fruit tray and grabbed a piece of pineapple, tossing it into her mouth.