The New Guy On The Block: Part Two

I see my phone ring and I see my mom's contact name and number come up. I pick it up. Just as I am about to say hello, the doorbell rings. Panicking, I walk slowly to it. Mustering up the courage, I raise my bat and say "Who's there?"

No response. My heart beats frantically and I ask the same question again. "W-who's there?" Still no response. The person rings the doorbell again. Jumping up, I slowly unlock the door and mentally prepare myself.

I hear banging on the door. With no hesitation, I open it quicker and begin hitting the person with the bat.

"Ow!" I hear a deep manly voice.

I stop. I look and can't identify his face as it is dark outside.

"Jackson? Is that you?"

He grabs the bat and puts it on the ground. "Who's Jackson?"

I raise an eyebrow and decide to turn on the porch light to investigate and interrogate the trespasser.

When I do, I see a tall, jet black haired, two different colored eyed man standing before me. He rubs his arm.

"That is the last time I ever decide to welcome myself to the neighborhood, especially if the house looks similar to your house."

I stare at him, admiring his build. Dang, he is pretty muscular (but not that muscular) and his abs were trying to escape from his shirt. My mouth opens slightly and I freeze.

He waves a hand in front of my eyes. "Uh hello?"

I snap out of it. "Huh?"

"Wow. So much for first impressions. You suck at it."

"Hey! At least I didn't almost give my neighbor a heart attack. What the heck were you doing on my lawn looking all creepy and stuff?"

He rubs his temples. "If you were fucking paying attention, I just told you that I was trying to introduce myself to the neighbors. I already covered half of this block this afternoon but when I came to your house earlier, no one was home. So I left. I just saw a light in the kitchen area of your house turn on at around 9 so I assumed that someone was home. So, I thought I would try my luck again."

He looks me up and down and smirks. "Nice pajamas by the way."

I look down at myself and cover up before letting out a "hmph" sound. "You also suck at first impressions."

Suddenly, I hear someone approaching us. "Hey! Lulu texted me and luckily I finished my livestream. So, what seems to be the troubl-."

Before Jackson can finish his sentence, he stops walking and looks at me and my new neighbor. "Oh, who the heck is this?"

I cross my arms while continuing to cover myself. "If I knew, I wouldn't have had let Lulu call you." I look at the mysterious person. "What's your name anyway creepy stranger?"

He looks at me and rolls his eyes ever so slightly. "Um ok, first off, I am not a creepy stranger. As I mentioned literally 2 minutes ago, I'm your new neighbor. Install lights around your yard or better yet, stop watching crime shows you sicko."

I grow offended. "What?!"

"Also, my name is Holden."

I snicker a bit. "Holden?"

Jackson laughs as well. "Your name sounds so dumb. Your parents must really hate you."

Suddenly, Holden grabs Jackson by the collar of his shirt, his eyes narrowing. "Don't speak about my parents like that."

Jackson holds up his hands. "Hey woah buddy. Calm down. I was just joking! It's not that serious." Holden lets go and then turns to face me. "You need new friends."