CHAPTER ONE

Sweat poured down my forehead, plastering my hair to my skin. Another blow was all I needed to hit to get my instructor down. He's weak in his leg from where I kicked him earlier, so I need to kick him there again, and then punch his nose up into his brain.

If I get this guy down, that will be fifty instructors down which is more than anyone has ever done.

This instructor works on instinct, which is a curse considering I've been trained to locate patterns in the person I'm fighting. It's a blessing, since one of your instincts is to protect your injured wounds. I look at his bleeding left arm, causing him to unintentionally start protecting that side. This leaves his right injured leg out in the open.

With no hesitation , in front of hundreds of women and instructors , I kick his leg and when he gets on his knees from the impact I slam my fist into his nose. He sways , unconscious, slightly for a few seconds before falling at my feet. Just in case he's tricking me, I keep my legs out of reach of his hands.

I hear the ref shouting down from ten, then an unanimous shout of 'KNOCKOUT'. These guys are addicted to the Wii's in the games rooms. I stop myself from rolling my eyes, knowing it will be taken seriously instead of in the playful manner I meant it in. I walk out of the ring, and through the crowds into the changing rooms.

I strip out of my drenched grey shirt, and black leggings. I put on black sweatpants, a bra and a sports bra over it. Lethargically, I swing my duffle bag onto my shoulder and walk out of the door.

The night air feels amazing after the stuffy hall, and I walk slightly slower than normal so I can drink it in. Walking through the grounds of The Institute, I'm reminded to be on guard. I look at the high electric fences that confine all of the buildings. I'm passing the fountain when I hear a shout. I don't stop completely, but I slow down and turn my head in the direction of the sound.

I'm met with the sight of one of my closest friends here. Well, if I can class her as a friend without going to Isolation. Annora , number 499 , is only nine years old. She has two other sisters , her triplets, but she's definitely the more careless one. Everyone loves her, but she only really talks to me and her sisters.

Nora has vibrant green eyes and fiery red hair ( reflecting her personality ). She is barely ever seen as she spends most of her time in Isolation and the Detention Room. I don't know how to be in there all the time, but she's known as a troublemaker. I know the truth, she takes all the punishments for her and her sisters. I don't know how she's stayed so upbeat, but I love it. It's nice to have some hope around here.

"Heyy!" Nora says when she falls in step with me, walking to our dormitories. " It's... officially your birthday! So, as my duty as your favourite person ever, I have the most special present on earth."

It is? She seems to tell what I'm thinking, which is a thing only Nora can seem to do , and shows me her watch. I notice how it seems to have been screwed on, probably to make sure she has got no excuse for being late. I also notice that it's cutting into her wrist, but she shows no pain on her face.

I finally see the thing she's showing me. It's five past midnight.

"Officially twenty two!" She sings, and I see a lamp turn on somewhere to the right of us. Someone's about to come to talk to us. Nora looks that way too, but much more subtly than me, " Let me do the talking Riley,"

I raise an eyebrow at her. The lamp posts are movement activated, which means that someone is here. We aren't out past curfew, since people observing the fights only have to be at their dorms forty minutes after it has ended.

"What are you doing here Annora! And you, Riley! I expected more of you!" I look to my left and see the unflinching eyes of Mrs Smith. Confusion takes over my thoughts, but I show none of it on my face. Emotions aren't allowed to be shown here.

"Miss! The fight only ended ten minutes ago, I thought we were allowed forty minutes to get to class. Although, I see your watch is incorrect. Or is it mine?" Nora says, showing Mrs Smith her arm.

Mrs Smith grabs her arm roughly, and I have to physically stop myself from grabbing her roughly. She puts on her half moon spectacles, and I almost scoff at the double standards in this place. None of us are allowed any help with our so-called 'disabilities'. I needed glasses for a period of time when I was eight to ten for screens. I was then sentenced to an hour in the detention room. It was the first and only time I was ever in there.

"Get to your dorms. I won't write this down. GO!" Mrs. Smith says, stalking off.

Annora pretends to trip and I take the cue and lean down to help her up. "Fucking bitch."

I bite my lip to stop myself from laughing, and we continue walking.

"What was I saying, ah yes! This is your excellente presente," She hands me a small white box . "Got to go, Annie's had her light privileges taken away. You know how afraid of the dark she is!"

Annie's her younger triplet, Anita's her older one. Annora acts like the older one though.

I grin at her and say bye before she sprints down the cobble path to her Dorm building 6. My one is 2. The gravel crunches under my feet as I walk up the mini driveway to the building, before I walk through the sliding doors and am met with the mini-reception. I walk to the woman standing at the desk and show her my ID. She scans it into the system, nods and passes me the keys.

We aren't allowed to have our own set of keys just in case we sneak back into our rooms during lessons, or when we've been kicked out for the night as punishment.

I walk down the hallway to the left of the desk and walk up four flights of stairs until I get to my floor. The elevator privilege was taken away from me after I repeatedly pressed it in anxiousness to get to my showers before they turned the water off.

I sigh, open my door by sliding my ID down the machine, which opens the latch that covers the keyhole. I then walk into my room after unlocking my door. I lock the door, knowing what happens when you don't.

The ID's have multiple uses. It lets you buy lunch on it, with five percent of your recent profits, and if you want to get anywhere, or out of anywhere, you have to scan the ID over the thingy-magig to open the door. It also acts as a tracker, as once you've scanned in it shows up on a map in the control room that you're in there.

I drop my bag on the floor, kick off my shoes and slump onto the uncomfortable, springy bed. I fall asleep like a light switch being flicked.