this is a state of grace

<RE-UPLOAD>

super long one-shot for yall 😘 / title is from Taylor Swift's State of Grace

*
*
*

A general rule of high school seems to be that "You will be working in pairs for this assignment," is usually only regarded as a bad thing when it's followed up with "And before you all start getting excited, I have taken the liberty of picking your partners for you."

Which unfortunately, is the exact sentence that has just come out of Mr Kwon's mouth. God. Not even a week into senior year and Jennie is already in danger of being forced to work with someone she can't stand.

The usual level of unimpressed grumbling that happens whenever a teacher decides the best way for the class to learn is to pair them up with someone they don't know or like echoes around the room. Mr Kwon looks severely displeased, and continues to talk loudly over the noise, detailing what the two week long assignment and subsequent report entails, concluding it with a charming, "Hopefully none of your reports make me question why I ever decided to teach high school biology."

"Who hired this douche?" Chaeyoung grumbles under her breath from next to Jennie.

"Now if you'll all kindly be quiet for a few seconds," he huffs, glaring around the class before looking back down at the sheet of paper that Jennie has a sinking feeling is about to ruin a few people's enjoyment of biology forever. "Jihyo, you're with Jinyoung. V, with Jimin. Chaeyoung and Wang-"

"Oh Jesus," Chaeyoung groans, glaring at Wang when he smiles sardonically at her.

"Nancy and Somi, Jennie and Lisa-"

Jennie tunes Mr Kwon out as she glances over to the other side of the classroom at Lisa, where she's sitting next to...Aileen? Iris? Something like that, Jennie doesn't remember her name.

The corner of Lisa's mouth lifts up into a small half smile, which Jennie returns. Aside from sharing two other classes with her, math and art, Jennie barely knows the other girl. Lisa doesn't seem weird or rude or anything, she just runs in a completely different social circle from Jennie. From what she's heard, Lisa is insanely smart and studious, so Jennie could probably do worse for an assignment partner, but she doesn't actually know anything about her apart from she's generally quiet and a bit of a loner. The kind of person that douchebag jocks like Wang like to harass in the hallways.

Speaking of, Jennie spies Jackson Wang swaggering towards them with his usual arrogant sneer on his face.

"Hey princess," he greets, and Jennie can almost feel Chaeyoung vibrating from holding back the urge to punch him. "So glad I have the privilege of working with you on this delightful assignment."

"Oh I'm sure you're looking forward to this just as much as I am, Jackson," Chaeyoung replies in the sickly sweet fake voice that Jennie has discovered means she is probably picturing in her head all the ways she can maim Wang and get away with it.

Wang's face sours at the use of his first name, and thankfully the lunch bell ringing saves Jennie from being an unwilling spectator to the inevitable snark-off. She's just finished packing her stuff into her bag while half-listening to Chaeyoung's grumbling about the partner from hell, when a voice interrupts them. "Hello."

Jennie glances up to see Lisa standing in front of her table. She doesn't think she's ever heard the other girl speak before; she would've remembered how soft her voice is, a stark contrast to the piercing stare of her eyes. "Uh, hey."

Apparently all Jennie can come up with when talking to a pretty girl is uh, hey. Smooth. She blames Lisa's eyes. They're wide and a brilliant hazel.

"So when are you free to start working on the assignment?"