O N E

for best experience read in dark mode with new roman text

                           ••••ꕥ••••

*splash* Kim Haneul heard. The trotting of horses passing her radiated through her ears as she was drenched in water and mud for the third time in two weeks.

Her task was simple; retrieve water from the well. But of course, this had to be made difficult by the entitled palace guards and their horses. The young girl held a deep hatred towards the men of the palace. Her hate was not directed towards the individuals, but rather their abhorrent behavior towards the villagers and anyone else selected to work at the palace. They carried themselves with an air of superiority, as if they were the seven beasts themselves, masquerading as "princes."

In reality, they were merely trying to conceal all the things they witnessed within the castle walls. Haneul sighed and scurried back indoors to prepare for the day's event.

Every year, the palace selects three men and three women from the village through a lottery to perform their "village duties."

And such, the day arrived. All residents were expected to gather around the main hall, as they always had for this routine. However, it's always a formality. It's not common for anyone under the age of 20, the "mating age," to be called. Additionally, the castle only requires maids, soldiers, and occasionally chefs for events such as the royal balls.

These lavish events were of no importance to the general population anyway. The palace walls haven't been open to commoners, except for workers, in years.

༺•༻

As Hanuel and her family arrived outside the main hall, a crowd had already formed. That day was supposed to be a very exciting day for lots of the village people, especially the married women. They can't help but hope to be selected, even if it's just for a day so that they can gossip to their lady friends about every last detail of the handsome princes.

Squeals were heard as the carriages of the palace arrived with the palace men.

The head of the village and the representative from the palace stepped up to the podium. The event began as the head started speaking; the villagers, like obedient children, started quieting down to listen to their authority.

"Ladies and gentlemen! As you all know, today is a significant day for our village. It is the day when six fortunate citizens will fulfill their civic duties to the king and our royals by serving them. Soon, the calling ceremony will commence."

Excitement and nervousness rippled through the crowd. Expression of emotion plagued the noisy civilians.

"Now! It's time to announce the selected individuals."

Silence falls.

"Lim Jukhyung."

"Moon Jaeyun."

"Hwang In Yeop."

"Chang Baekyun."

"Kang Yujin."

And finally, "Choi Mijin."

Sobs and squeals fill the ambiance. As most revel in the excitement, there are always the few that can't bear to leave their families.

The chatter was soon interrupted by a palace man, arriving on his horse. He jumped off and whispered something to the head and the previous palace man.

After a brief moment of acceptance, the head steps up.

"There seems to be a bit of a change in this year's calling."

The new palace man steps up.

"The king has made a new request of two men, one lady, and one maiden by noon."

"Given this information, we will pick 3 people from the previously chosen pool and commence the lottery once again."

Silent whispers began. How could this be? Why would the palace be willing to give up three workers for one maiden?

"Now," the head calls, silencing the crowd, "We have discussed and finalized that the first 3 people called during the original calling will be the ones to go to the palace. As for the one maiden... The lottery shall be drawn again."

•••••ꕥ•••••𝐀𝐡𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩! 𝐩𝐥𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐦𝐞 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐬

•••••ꕥ•••••
𝐀𝐡𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩! 𝐩𝐥𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐦𝐞 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐬. 𝐈𝐦 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐫𝐲 𝐭𝐨 𝐮𝐩𝐥𝐨𝐝𝐞 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐤𝐞𝐧𝐝(𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐤𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐥𝐮𝐝𝐞𝐝) 𝐏𝐥𝐬 𝐭𝐫𝐲 𝐭𝐨 𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐈 𝐚𝐦 𝐚𝐧 𝟏𝟏𝐭𝐡 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐚𝐝𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤 𝐬𝐨 𝐛𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐦𝐞 😔
- 𝐋 ★