Prologue

A/n: You asked and I delivered, even if it did take a long, long time.
Also for context, this chapter takes place 2 years before Tanjiro's Training arc in the mountains.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

No one POV:

A boy, who looked about 16,  was shown in a yard, swinging a wooden sword repeatedly at a quick and swift rate along side a pink haired women who looked about 17 "You're getting better with your swings (Y/n)," the women said to the boy, now known as (Y/n) "I've been practicing more and more, yet I still feel like I'm doing something wrong," (Y/n) responded.  The women just gave a small warm smile "You'll get the hang of it eventually, I'm sure of it," she reassured "And what if I don't?" (Y/n) simply asked "Then I wouldn't mind you being by my side for a little longer," she exclaimed happily.

This made the boy chuckle and continue swinging "If you say so..." (Y/n) said softly before a man with yellow hair and red tips walked into the yard "Mitsuri! Master has assigned you another mission, report to him for more details!" the man yelled with a large smile "What about (Y/n)'s training?" the women known as Mitsuri asked.  The man walked down the stairs and towards (Y/n) "I'll take over while you're on your mission, once you return you can take over once again," the man explained "Understood then, Bye (Y/n)!" Mitsuri yelled while running off, leaving (Y/n) and the man alone as (Y/n) continued swinging his sword.

"How has your training been?" the man asked "Same old, same old, Sensei," (Y/n) simply stated "Just Rengoku or Kyojuro is fine," the man revealed to be Kyojuro Rengoku responded "Sorry Sensei... s-sorry, Rengoku," (Y/n) quickly corrected himself, making Rengoku laugh "Not a problem (Y/n)! I understand calling your teacher by their name isn't exactly something you're used too," Rengoku reassured.  (Y/n) nodded and continued swinging his sword "...Have you managed to obtain Flame Breathing?" Rengoku asked, making (Y/n) stop swinging and slowly become upset.

Rengoku understood his reaction and patted his head "No Worries, (Y/n), I understand, and don't worry, you'll figure it out, you always have and always will," Rengoku assured him "...I don't think I will..." (Y/n) whispered under his breath "Nonsense! You are a strong boy, I guarantee!" Rengoku quickly supported.  (Y/n) just dropped his sword "I've been practicing everyday! trying and failing! Mitsuri has been training at the same rate as me yet she's already a demon slayer, going on missions gaining higher ranks!" he said with sadness in his voice "...Maybe I'm just not cut out for this..." (Y/n) added, looking down in disappointment.

He then picked up the sword and turned towards Rengoku "Sorry Sensei... I failed..." he said while handing him the wooden sword "...(Y/n)... who are you?" Rengoku suddenly asked, making (Y/n) look up at him in confusion "What?" he asked confused "Who are you?" Rengoku asked again, his smile not changing for a second.  (Y/n) slowly put the sword by his side "I'm (Y/n)..." he responded confusingly "Yes! that's your name, but who. are. you!?" Rengoku asked with a louder voice "...I... I'm..." (Y/n) tried to come up with an answer, but failed "See? You don't know!" Rengoku chuckled a little while saying this "...Am I missing something?" (Y/n) asked.

Rengoku nodded "You're missing the point that you don't know who you are," he explained "...And that's a good thing?" (Y/n) asked, receiving another nod from Rengoku "Yes! Because that means you still have a long way to go, you don't know if you're made to be a slayer or a gardener, or even a chief!" Rengoku explained farther.  This made (Y/n) think to himself a little "What I'm saying is if you give up now, you never know if you're giving up what you're made to do," Rengoku then leveled himself with (Y/n)'s vision "Remember what I said your first day of training, Flame breathing is about our heart of flame, a flame you must never let be extinguished!" Rengoku continued.