Chapter I "The Beginning"

(Y/n) POV:

It's been a year since my training as a Tsuguko of Rengoku, and I've gotten better at the forms and movements of Flame breathing, yet his training is still absolutely brutal "KEEP YOUR LEGS STRAIGHT!" he yelled at me as I grunted in pain from the boulders weighing on my back "HOW IS THIS TRAINING!?" I yelled while attempting to keep my legs as straight as possible. I looked over towards Mitsuri to see if she was struggling just as much, but she was standing effortlessly, even smiling with pure joy as she managed to keep her posture perfectly aligned "DON'T SLACK OFF!" Rengoku yelled before hitting the back of my knee and making me stumble a little.

I managed to get myself back up and continue standing with the boulders weighing down on me, making every second that passed feel like they were getting heavier "You may drop your weights!" Rengoku yelled as I immediately dropped all the boulders on my back and sat down while breathing heavily as Mitsuri put down her's, yet didn't even break a sweat. I tried to catch my breath but was immediately picked up and brought to my feet by Rengoku "Training is not over yet young (L/n)!" he yelled, making me stand straight once again "Remind me... how this is... training again?" I asked in between gasps for air.

Rengoku simply laughed "Is it not obvious!?" "...No..." I replied "We are expanding your breathing so that you may handle flame breathing better and create larger flames to use the first form," he explained all too quickly "I feel like if I continue this training I'll die..." I groaned out in pain "It's not all bad, (Y/n)," Mitsuri jumped in "Says the girl who beats half the hashira in arm wrestling," I rolled my eyes.  Mitsuri simply laughed at my comment before we suddenly heard footsteps approaching, and Rengoku suddenly turned serious and bowed at the entrance, and without even questioning it, me and Mitsuri follows suit "Master, it's a pleasure to see you here!" Rengoku suddenly spoke.

I looked up slightly and saw Ubuyashiki standing there, his daughter holding his hand to help support him "Please be at ease Rengoku, and you two, there is no need for such formality at a time like this," he said, his kind voice and smile on full display as we stood up "It it a another mission, Master?" Rengoku asked, crossing his arms and going back to his signature smile. Ubuyashiki shook his head "Far from it Rengoku, actually, I'm here for Mitsuri," he said, making us all surprise and Mitsuri confused as she stepped forward "D-Did I do something wrong?" she asked, nervousness clear in her voice as she spoke.

Ubuyashiki again shook his head "Again, far from it Mitsuri, the news I bring is not one to call for dispare, but rather, celebration," he calmly said "Did I-," "Mitsuri, maybe he'd tell us faster if we'd stay quite," I cut her off, promptly making her apologize and stay quite "Thank you, (Y/n), now as for the news," he clapped his hands and two other girls with dull smiling expressions walked in.  They walked towards Mitsuri, standing in front of her and looking up at her before bowing "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Love Hashira: Mitsuri Kanroji," they said, immediately stunning both me and Rengoku in silence.

I couldn't say anything, I simply saw as her eyes glew with excitement before both girls stood straight up once again "Due to your recent acquired kill count of 50 demons," "You have now been promoted to Hashira rank," The girls said, trading off sentences in a creepy way "Congratulations!" they said at the same time before turning and walking away.  Ubuyashiki then bowed at Mitsuri "Now Mitsuri, are you ready for your first mission as a Hashira?" he asked, as Mitsuri quickly looked at us with worried eyes, while Rengoku and I simply nodded, almost as if trying to ensure it was alright before she accepted and left along side Ubuyashiki.

Me and Rengoku were left standing there, staring at the entrance "...Now I've really fallen behind..." I said silently to myself "Don't sulk on your friends big day!" he said, patting my back as if trying to comfort me "...Yea... you're right," I responded, yet my tone didn't exactly match my response, making Rengoku sigh a little "Let us resume training tomorrow..." he said before leaving.  I stood still, unsure of what to do, simply walking inside and going towards my room, entering and sitting on my bed 'I knew I was behind... but this is just...' I couldn't say or do nothing, all I did was sulk to myself.