Chapter IV "Frightening Encounters"

(Y/n) POV:

It has already been around a year since I became a demon slayer, and I have raised myself to the rank of Kinoto, allowing me to take on lots of more missions and combat against tougher demons, it has also allowed me to go on missions along side the Hashira, however that's only from time to time and not constantly. I had also managed to harness my skills further, allowing me to use my breathing style in more effective and powerful ways than one, getting as far as being able to use it in shorter activation times and even be able to use the forms on multiple demons at once in perfect accuracy.

One day, I was relaxing in my room, resting after having recently returned from defeating more demons when Shinobu walked in "Good Evening, (Y/n)! How are you feeling?" she asked with her usual smile "Same old, Same old, just needed some time to relax," I responded while taking a deep breath.  She then got closer and laid down beside me "Anything you doing?" I asked as she got comfortable "Nope, just getting Kanao ready for Final selection this year," she answered as we simply laid in the silence without a word to one another, but strangely, the air didn't seem so quiet between us.

"...You know (Y/n), laying besides you remind me when we were younger," Shinobu spoke "Really? How?" I asked, a curious "When I had lost my sister... you laid beside me and simply listen to me cry... and held me when I needed you to," She explained as I felt her hand creep onto my arms and slowly hold mine.  I instinctively reacted and held her's back, intertwining our fingers as we laid together "Now look at you... how much you've changed from then," she gave a small giggle, and I responded with a chuckle as she then turned her full body towards me "(Y/n)... may I tell you something?" Shinobu asked, catching my attention and making me turn my head towards her.

"(Y/n), I-," "(Y/N)!" Mitsuri suddenly yelled my name and entered my room, cutting Shinobu off which annoyed her greatly "Mitsuri... did I not request for you not to interrupt this moment?" Shinobu asked while sitting up "...You did what?" I realized what she just said but was ignored as Mitsuri spoke "Sorry! But Master if calling for (Y/n)!" she explained. After hearing this, me and Shinobu looked at each other with surprise before I immediately got up and made my way towards where Master was, walking up to his door and preparing myself for whatever news he had for me "We'll wait here when you're done chatting," Shinobu said as I then entered without them.

I saw him sitting on his porch, staring out into his patio while petting his crow "Evening (Y/n)," he greeted without looking back as me as I seated myself behind him "I was informed you wanted to see me... for what reason?" I asked as he then turned his whole body to face me "As you know, it has been two years since you've become a demon slayer, and a strong one at that," he smiled. "And now that you're a Kinoto, you're ready to take on a real challenge," he explained, making me even more confused than how I was to begin with "Apologize Master, but I'm a bit confused," I admitted as he simply smiled and clapped his hands.

My crow then entered the room, cawing a bit as he did "CAW! CAW! SOUTH-SOUTHEAST, THREE DEMONS HAS BEEN SPOTTED IN A VILLAGE SOUTH-SOUTHEAST FROM HERE!" it yelled while cawing loudly "MANY MIZUNOTO HAVE BEEN SENT, BUT NONE RETURN, TRED CAREFULLY!" it added. Master then gave a small bow "These three demons have been a real problem, so please take care of them since these types of demons shouldn't be strong enough to take on countless Mizunoto," he requested and I nodded in acceptance "Understood Master, I'll take care of them quickly," I said before standing and bowing.

I was about to exit the room before I then heard Master add "By the way (Y/n), these last three demons might be what you need to rank up to Kinoe," I turned to him in shock of those words, but he simply smiled back and waved "So good luck," he said as I nodded and left the room, walking away as both Mitsuri and Shinobu followed. "What did he say?" Shinobu asked, interested "Another mission, one that'll rank me up to Kinoe," I simply replied while not even glancing at them "Is that where you're heading now?" Mitsuri asked and I nodded "Heck yeah! I'm gonna take care of this quickly!" I declared while grabbing my katana and exiting the butterfly mansion.