16. Steve

"Steve?" Erin's voice came over the line. She sounded like she had been crying. Or still was.

"Erin, what's the matter?" I sat up and looked around my room. My roommate was still asleep. I didn't want to wake him, so I quietly got up and took my portable phone into the hallway.

"Steve, can you come home?" She was definitely crying.

"Erin? What's wrong?"

"It's Dad," she was sobbing. "He had a heart attack or something. It doesn't look good. They told us to tell you to come home."

I leaned back on the wall outside my dorm room. Spring Break was still three weeks away. But I needed to get home.

"Mom said she'd book a ticket for you at the airport. Please, Stephen? He's asking for you."

"Yeah. Yeah. Of course. I'm coming home. Tell him I'm coming. Tell Mom to call me as soon as she's booked the ticket. I've got to pack and make some calls."

"Okay. Please hurry, Stephen," Erin sobbed.

"I'm coming, Erin. I'm coming."

I went back into my room and turned on the light by my bed. I pulled out my old duffel bag from underneath my bed.  Chris, my roommate, rolled over and groaned.

"Dude. It's..." he checked his watch. "Dude it's fucking four in the morning. What are you doing?"

He sat up when he saw I was packing.

"You're packing. Why are you packing?"

"It's my dad. My sister called. My dad's sick and it doesn't look good. They told me to come home."

"Oh. Shit. I'm sorry. Do you need a ride to the airport?"

"I can take a cab," I said. I felt bad waking Chris up in the first place.

"Fuck that. Those cabbies'll gouge you to take a fare to LAX at four in the morning. Give me five minutes. I'm gonna go pee and throw on some sweats. I got you, man."

"Thanks, Chris. I'll make it up to you."

The phone rang again I grabbed it.

"Hello?"

"Hi sweetheart," it was Mom. She sounded so sad.

"Hi Mom, what's happening? Erin wasn't really clear."

Her breath hitched.

"David had a heart attack this evening. It was really bad. They're doing their best but they told us to bring you home. We might have to say goodbye. I booked you a ticket on American. You can pick it up at the counter. Just show them your ID. The flight's at seven. Can you get to the airport?"

"Yes. Chris said he'll drive me. Is it really that bad, Mom?" Tears were coming to my eyes.

"It is, Stephen. I'm so sorry. Please try to stay calm. You'll get here when you get here. He's asking for you so maybe he'll wait for you. I'll meet you at the airport," she said.

"No! You stay with Dad. I'll find a ride. Maybe Spencer."

"Okay. Just be safe, okay? We'll see you in a few hours."

"How's Toby?" I asked. My brother and Dad were close. Well, we all are.

"He's okay. He's with Dad right now."

"Tell Dad I'm coming," I sobbed.

"I will. Just know that he really does love you, Stephen," she said, sobbing. I did too.

We hung up and I finished packing some clothes. I had a suit in my closet back home. I had a feeling that would be coming out.

I made a few phone calls leaving messages for a few of my profs. I left them the home number in Ohio in case they needed to reach me about the assignments I'd be hoping they'd accept late. I also called my baseball coach and explained the situation to him on his office voicemail.