CHAPTER ONE

KURTS POV
______________

....

I sighed as I grabbed the handles of my glasses and placed them on my desk, next to an open book. I yawned and stretched my back. I squinted my eyes, looking at the little box with bold, red numbers on it reading '3:07'. Groaning, I stood up from the dark wooden chair. 'I should probably go to sleep now..' I thought to myself as I lazily dragged my feet to my bed and flopped down face-first on the cushiony pillow.

I gripped the blanket and dragged it up and over my body, letting it loosely hug my body. I fluttered my eyes closed gently and regulated my breathing.

...

I groaned as I sat up, realizing fairly quickly that I was in fact not going to sleep anytime soon. My head only spiraled with useless thoughts. I drowsily opened my eyes, peaking at the clock on my desk, reading the time. '3:32' I sighed before rolling over onto my side and curling into the blanket, deciding it would be a better idea to at least try to sleep more.

I let out a noise of complaint and annoyance, still being restless. I sat up once again and silently slipped out of my bed and through my room, barely missing the random trash and clothes scattered around.  I squinted my eyes, trying to see everything despite it being both blurry and dark. 'Maybe I should get some contacts' I thought to myself, eyeing the glasses still placed on my desk. 'Ugh... Dad would never allow it...' I sourly thought, looking away from my glasses and towards my phone. I picked up my phone lighter and a pack of cigarettes before putting them into the back pocket of my jeans. I looked around, my head starting to hurt from all the sudden movements as I looked for my shoes.

Looking next to the door I saw the blurry shapes of my shoes. I slowly walked over to them, yawning as I pulled each one onto my feet. I placed my hand on the doorknob, grimacing feeling the cold metal. I turned the knob and opened the door, carefully and slowly, trying my hardest to not make any noise. After all, I didn't want to wake up Dad, not this late at night. I stepped out of the house and down the first step. I plopped down onto the hard cement.

I pulled the cigarette pack and lighter out of the pockets of my jeans. Upon pulling the little tub out I sparked my lighter and lit it. Me and Ram had always promised not to smoke, that's why I do it while he's not around. I put the end of the cigarette to my mouth, inhaling for a few seconds before exhaling, smoke rising up and into the air. Ram didn't want to get addicted to smoking because it could damage his lungs and he wouldn't be able to play football anymore. I on the other hand do not particularly care about whether or not I can play football. I like playing but sometimes I just feel like it's not worth it. 

Ram isn't very confident in his academics either so he relies on football so that he can get a scholarship. I'm not all that smart either I get average B's but they're still good enough to get some sort of scholarship. I try to get better grades, Dad constantly pesters me about only getting B's but even with late nights spent studying I just can't improve no matter what I do. I'm sure if Ram actually tried he could do just as good academically as he does at football, I've helped him do his work and he understands the material quickly. Honestly, Ram is amazing at almost everything he does, he looks perfect too. Not that I would ever tell him that though.

Unbeknownst to him, I'm gay. I would never dare to say that to him much less anyone at that school. Absolutely no one. Sherwood, Ohio doesn't exactly take kindly to gay people. People here upon hearing you're gay will call you things like, "Fag" or "sissy". Life is basically hell if you're anything but normal. I've known for a couple of years though, which also means that I've known about my feelings for Ram for just as long.  I've had girlfriends, but being gay I've never actually liked them which led to them only lasting for a month at most. The most recent being Heather McNamara, the captain of the cheer team. She's not as bad as the other heathers, she's quite nice in all honesty. I feel bad for her though, I feel as if I'm using her as a cover-up which is well, true.