DARK END, DEAD END

They made haste leaving Heif, passing through the north gates without drawing any attention to themselves. They passed through villages at a rapid pace, galloping fast as sprites through haunted crypts. They drank the last of their water and cooked the small rations they had managed to get their hands on in Heif. They circled back to the Vakh. The creatures roared at their presence.

Four nights later, they had taken two detours to evade three patrols. Sapphire felt sore and cold. It rained. The skies fell upon them with heavy tears as if they were the anguish of the murdered citizens. They rode through the sheet of piercing water, their hair clinging to their faces, rivulets of water running down their faces, beating at their cheeks and cutting them. They ran out of their supply of dry clothes. Her legs hurt. Her body shivered.

Another two days and, too late, they realized they were closing in on Coler. They hunted food, stealing from grain stores and fields, killing birds as they made their way. Sapphire could see the mad glint in Sander's eyes every time he turned to look behind them. It was the desperation of a man hanging by a fragile thread, threatening to break with the slightest inconvenience. They tried to circle around, and change their path, yet, every time they strayed away from Coler, a patrol would show up and they'd fall back on the dreaded path towards Falargimea's capital.

"The horses can't go any longer," her uncle called out from his place at the end of their party, slowing to a trot. The rain had retreated back into the clouds. "We need to rest."

"Toluer will not be far. He -" Ileeyan sat up straighter in his saddle, his hands flying to his bow, his eyes darting around. Sapphire looked around. "They're here."

Sapphire felt her blood freeze in its place.

"I don't see anyone," Thomas spoke up. He had his eyes narrowed and despite his declaration, his hand had moved to hover over the satchel that contained the few explosives he had left.

"We have walked into a trap," Lysander dismounted from his saddle and lifted his hands, preparing himself for a fight. "Toluer is, after all, a clever man."

Sapphire jumped to the ground and stared at each and every tree around them. Perhaps they hid in the trees, above them.

"They say there are ways to make one invisible," James whispered. He held his blade in a firm grip. The seven traced their footsteps to each other, positioning themselves in a circle, each and every one of them holding their weapons aloft.

"It was the patrols."

"Pardon?" Lysander raised a brow at Rueen's words.

A chill swept over them, raising the hair on Sapphire's neck. The tingle that ran down her spine was unwelcome. Her chain grew warm beneath her tunic.

"The patrols," Rueen explained, shuffling closer to Sapphire, her daggers clutched in a knuckle white grip, "were a distraction. They wanted us near Coler."

"You did seem to be quite intelligent, Miss Blake."

The voice, colder than the graves of Kapok, was the only one Sapphire didn't want to hear. Toluer never showed himself, hidden beyond their sights.

"My apologies for the late arrival of your wit," Toluer mocked.

"Show yourself, Toluer!" Sander's words cut through the air like a vice. "Are you such a coward to confront your foe from the shadows?"

No answer came. Then, there was a light chuckle that echoed around them, caressing their fear lightly, poking it till it rose into gooseflesh on their neck and arms. The hilt of her dagger felt frigid in her palm. The horses whimpered and trotted away.