Chapter Three

Hadley

After the Raptor incident, Owen and I made sure everything was locked up tight before we went back to his little bungalow away from the main park.

It was a cute little place that sat along the shore of the island, big enough for him to live in comfortably. There were a few trees in the area, but it was mostly cleared out. He had an array of tools and parts that belonged to who knows what, most of them on a table by the deck. There was a camper off to the side, and a few motorbikes sitting around, along with a couple fishing poles and tackle boxes. Other than those things, he had random stuff neatly tucked away.

Most of the time, Owen would invite me to stay with him because I often got bored of my cramped apartment back at the park. I was a bigger fan of the openness of the sea and the soft breeze that came through his windows. He told me that he liked having me stay with him because he'd get lonely out here and wouldn't have anyone to talk to, which was totally fine with me.

Owen was sitting on an upside down bucket, busy fixing up his black motorcycle while I was sitting cross-legged in the grass next to him, handing him whatever tools he needed. I leaned my back against his leg, handing him a crescent wrench.

"What gave you the idea to run into the pen with the Raptors?" I asked. We hadn't talked about the incident after it happened. Not because we didn't want to, but because we didn't feel the need to. Until now, that is. Owen sighed and tightened a bolt on the motorcycle.

"It was either I stay and watch the poor guy die and our Raptors get shot, or I go in there and save the kid and the Raptors," he replied, handing me the crescent wrench. "Torque wrench."

"I mean, you didn't even think about doing it," I said, taking the wrench back and handing him the next tool. "You just...did it."

"And that's bad?" He asked, cocking an eyebrow at me without taking his eyes off of the bike. I shook my head.

"No, it's not bad," I muttered. "It's just...
I don't know...selfless. Most guys would have stayed behind the gate. But you--"

"Put my ass on the line to save someone else's?" He finished with a chuckle. I nodded, a small smile spreading across my face. "Well, this might be breaking news to you, but I'm not like most guys."

"Yeah, I know,"

"Hey, do I have a pair of needle-nose pliers in there somewhere?" Owen asked, looking over my shoulder at the assortment of tools in front of me. I scanned the pile and nodded when I found them, handing them up to him.

"You gonna teach me how to ride that thing?" I asked, gesturing to the motorcycle. Owen laughed and sat back, wiping his forehead with the back of his hand, leaving a black grease smudge on his skin.

"If you want me to," he chuckled. I smiled and grabbed a rag, standing up to wipe the mark off of his forehead.

"I think it'll be fun," I said, resting my left hand on his cheek to hold his head still while I gently rubbed the grease off.

"I think it'll be a pain in the ass to try and teach you," Owen joked, his bright eyes finding mine. I gave him a look of mock hurt, wiping the remainder of the grease away.

As I was about to reply with something snarky, a silver car pulled up a few yards away. I pulled my hand away from Owen's face as Claire got out of the car, watching as she tentatively made her way over to us. Owen stood up next to me, wiping his hands on the rag that I had used before.

*Again, there will be some dialogue inconsistencies here, some on purpose though. Also, it may seem like I hate Claire in this, but I actually love her character in the movie. It's just for the story!*