Chapter Ten

Hadley

Claire had surprisingly accepted my embrace and hugged back, letting out a long breath. When we let go, her head instantly snapped to the side, eyes widening.

"Zach! Gray!" She yelled. I moved back over to Owen and watched as Claire sprinted towards the two boys and the girl. "Oh my God, thank God! What happened?"

I laced my fingers with Owen's and sighed, "Well, that part of the issue is over,"

Owen nodded. My attention was turned back to Claire when the older boy looked over at us. "Who're they?"

Claire stood straight again and turned around to face us. I gently tugged Owen along, walking over to meet the kids. Claire turned back and said, "Hadley and Owen. We work together,"

"Hey, we gotta go," Owen said, nodding his head in the other direction. Claire pushed Zach and Gray towards us.

"Okay, come on," she muttered. Zach stopped short and turned towards the girl.

"What about her?" He asked. Claire's eyebrows furrowed, but she nodded and ushered him on.

"She can come, just hurry up," she said, pushing the three kids in front of her. They followed Owen and I while Claire trailed behind a few feet, her phone pressed to her ear.

"So, what's your name?" I heard Zach ask the girl, who revealed that her name was Nyla.

"Lowery, I'm on my way back to you," Claire said, her left hand plugging her ear to listen to what Lowery was saying. "What do you mean, 'Use the Raptors'?"

"Son of a bitch," Owen spat, slowing our fast walk down to a halt. My eyes widened and I knotted my hand in Owen's shirt.

"We can't let that thick-headed dumbass use our Raptors to try and take this thing down," I growled, pulling Owen down so his face was a few inches from mine. "I won't let him."

"You shouldn't say 'bitch' or 'dumbass'." A small voice piped up from behind us. I let go of Owen. The corners of my mouth twitched up for a second, but they immediately dropped when I saw the InGEN helicopter flying over our heads.

Owen noticed too, because a scowl instantly formed on his face as he turned to Claire, "Take the kids. Get them someplace safe."

"Uh, I don't think anywhere is safe at the moment," the girl, Nyla, said. Owen was about to answer her when the large metal doors behind us began to pry open. The six of us didn't waste any time, running away as soon as we noticed. Hundreds of people burst through the doors, running from the dinosaurs that were still wreaking havoc.

Owen got into a jeep that was conveniently parked a few yards away, the rest of us piling in after him. Zach, Gray, and Nyla were in the back, and Claire was in the passenger seat, while I was stuck sitting on the center console with my head pressed to the roof of the car. Owen threw the car in reverse and pressed the gas pedal down, sending us flying backward. The three kids in the back were panicking, yelling for Owen to go faster while he steered to avoid people. He backed up in between two buildings and put the jeep in park, watching as people ran by, terrified.

"This does not feel safe," Zach muttered, leaning forward to look over my shoulder. Nyla was clinging to his arm, a look of pure fear on her face.

"Can we stay with you?" Gray asked, peeking over my other shoulder. Claire nodded and took a deep breath.

"I am never leaving you as long as I live," she said, gripping onto her seat.

"No, no, no, these two," Gray said, placing his hands on my shoulder and Owen's. I shook my head and smiled a bit. Claire gave them a look of disbelief, her eyebrows furrowed.