Twenty Six

Twenty Six
🌻🌻🌻

Lily! Veihriine! Aren't you swimming? The water is freezing cold but extremely refreshing," Pavei called them.

"I don't even know how to swim. Can you?" Lily turned to Veihriine.

"Yeah! We always used to come down here in groups as kids and try every style of swimming. Shark style, Dead-man style, Butterfly style, Mermaid style... we did it all. But it's been a while since I last swam. Years actually."

"Can you still swim?"

"Of course! I could teach you. Did you bring a change of clothes?"

"I did."

"Let's finish this salad and go play in the water. Even my mother knows how to swim. Mom, are you swimming with us?" Veihriine turned to her mother with a teasing smile.

"Oh, No!" exclaimed Che Dune, laughing. "Not me. You go and play. I'll finish the salad."

The girls quickly finished chopping the vegetables, changed into shorts and T-shirt and ran towards the water. Daniel who was fishing with Pub Khozii watched from a distance.

"Hey! The two of you. Lily! Veihriine. Don't go into the deep. The currents are strong and Lily can't swim."

"Yeah. We're just playing at the edge!" returned Veihriine.

Daniel stood and watched a moment as Pavei joined them and began splashing waters at the girls.

"I'll go over, Puh Khozii," he said and left his fishing hook with his uncle. He went and sat down on the blanket beside Che Dune.

As the water playfully tugged at Lily, Daniel observed her with a silent vigilance, following her every move.

"Look at your Mocha. He's so concerned about you that he's even left his fishing," snickered Veihriine as she led Lily by the hand into the water and then called out at him, laughing. "Daniel! Don't you worry so much. She'll be fine."

Daniel smiled in response but he didn't move. He sat there like a rock and indulged in a conversation with his aunt. Meanwhile Pavei was trying his best teasing and tempting Lily, who was still standing cautiously only knee-deep by the edge, to move into the water.

"Watch me, Lily," he said and swam to a boulder. He climbed up on it, his drenched skin sparkling under the sun. He took his position, rubbed his palms and dived into the water liked a falcon. Lily's eyes stayed transfixed on the water as she tried to follow where he went. A few seconds later, he emerged in the middle of the water.

"Whoo!" He hooted and a flock of birds fluttered out of the trees, while his voice echoed in the silence and trailed off downstream, following the river.

"Feels great in here!" He tempted her with a wide grin as he stroked about in the water, diving in and emerging with repeating hooting.

"Alright, alright! Enough with you showing off," Lily huffed as she took a step at a time, clutching Veihriine's hand. The rocks were slippery with moss, threatening to send her plummeting into the water without warning, that they had Lily squeaking and shouting at almost every wobbly step she took.

"Gosh, I'm so scared that I might sprain my ankles."

"I got you. I got you," reassured Veihriine.

When she was waist-deep into the river and her feet struggled to touch the riverbed, she lost her balance and fell sideways into the river, screaming. The water bounced her light body up and down. Veihriine swiftly pulled her back up, supporting her until she regained her footing. Daniel shot to his feet, his brows furrowing in concern. However, he settled back next to Che Dune after he saw Lily laugh and Pavei come to be by her side.