Twenty Seven

Twenty-Seven
☢☢☢

Sunday evening arrived, and with it came the bittersweet task of driving Lily back to town. Throughout the day, Daniel seemed like a man awaiting the impending end of the world. He held Lily's hand as they walked to and back from Church. He sat beside her during lunch at Che Dune's and kept telling her to eat well and try to get proper sleep back in town. His occasional glances would be filled with affection, which would then turn into little hugs here and there as if he feared some invisible force were to snatch her away from him. He was mostly quiet and joked very little during the day, though he tried not to show it. Despite his unspoken concerns, especially after the incident at the river, Daniel knew it was necessary for her to leave, even if just for a short while. He didn't stop her.

Lily felt a pang of sadness for him. She wasn't blind to his predicament. He would be the one left alone in the house. It was evident he already missed her presence. He had briefly considered staying in town with her for a few days but quickly realizing the silliness of it, he brushed it off. He had a school to run, for God's sake.

Before her departure, Che Dune loaded the truck with fresh vegetables from her garden, ensuring Lily didn't return empty-handed whilst urging her to return as quickly as possible. And just before climbing into the truck, Lily popped a pill as usual, hoping to sleep through the ride. The journey was silent, save for the occasional sighs of the wind as it brushed past the car.

As Lily reclined against her seat and the rhythmic lull of the engine began lulling her to sleep, she gazed at Daniel and said in a voice soft with sleep, "It's going to be another boring ride for you. Be sure to stop and rest if you feel tired."

He read the gentle apology in her eyes.

"I will. Don't worry about me. Sleep well," he replied, his affectionate smile putting her at ease.

Daniel navigated the familiar roads, occasionally stealing glances at her sleeping form. As the sky darkened, in the soft glow of the car's interior lights, he watched her with love and affection, his worry dissipating momentarily in the sight of her serene expression. And he prayed... he prayed for the day when she could find peace without relying on pills. He wished he could do more for her, to ease the burdens she carried.

Upon reaching her uncle's house, they were warmly welcomed. The aroma of dinner wafted through the air the moment they stepped inside. and Morong, her uncle, was quick to notice Lily's improved appearance.

"You've managed to gain some weight, Lily! Good! Your colors are back too! The village seems to have done you good!" he exclaimed.

"You sure look much better now," added Miriam. "Come in and rest. Dinner is ready too. Daniel, I hope you're not returning tonight. It's already late."

"Yeah. I was thinking maybe I'll stay the night over and return first thing in the morning tomorrow," he said, carrying the bags of vegetables in the kitchen.

"Really?" Lily turned to him, her eyes wide with delight and excitement.

"Yeah. What's the rush? Pavei can look after the school for a day."

"Then return in the evening. Please. Please."

"Yes, Daniel. You could also stay for a week or two with us," suggested Miriam.

Daniel chuckled. "Please, don't offer more. I'll be so tempted to stay. I miss Bethany too, you know. I badly miss home that's why I decided to stay tonight. I miss my room."

"You're not sleeping here?"

"I'll sleep at home. It's been a while."

"Even I wanna sleep at home," Lily said.