Chapter 11

Hope's POV:

Some people stay broken. Some pick up the pieces and put them back together with all the sharp edges showing. I read as I sit at my desk while waiting for the teacher to show.

This book is interesting. With a lot of twists and dark themes but interesting. "Good morning, Hope," my mate's small voice travels to my ears.

I close my book and turn my head to look at her with a friendly smile. "Good morning, Carrie. How are you doing this morning?" I politely asks setting my book down on my desk.

   She smiles shyly at me with a nod. "I'm doing fine as well. C-can I ask you what some of those tattoos mean?" She softly asks making me chuckle softly.

  "Sure. Which one would you like to start with?" I respond holding out my arms. Well it's not all of them but I can't just take off my shirt in class.

  I watch as her eyes trace over the tats trying to pick one to start with. "What do the birds mean?" She asks pointing at it shyly.

   I touch my tattoo softly, "well uh as corny as it sounds, it represents freedom. Birds can spread their wings and be free without consequences. That's why I got it to be free."

She nods slowly while tracing it with her eyes. I wonder if she would ever get a tattoo. "Would you get one? A tattoo I mean," I asks before regretting it as I notice she recoiled and flinched.

She shakes her head quickly, "n-no! Mama said people go to hell when they get them. S-she would be so mad at me."

   I frown slightly at the way she's acting. "Shut up, freak," the guy who asked me out the first day snaps at her making my jaw clench.

   I whirl around with a glare, "how about you shut the fuck up and butt out of our conversation before I tell everyone your little secret," I lean forward to whisper, "that you're secretly gay and have a thing for your best friend."

   He swallows roughly and glances around. "Uh huh that's what I thought. Now say sorry to Carrie and it better sound sincere," I tell him with my left eye twitching slightly.

    "I-I'm sorry, Carrie," he stutters out and I give him a pointed look, "for calling you a freak. I'm sorry for calling you a freak. I won't do it again."

I hear her small intake of a breath and I turn away from the guy to look at her. "I-it's ok," she quietly says and I smile softly at her.

   "Before we were rudely interrupted, do you believe that? That people with tattoos will go to hell for them. Do you think I will?" I softly say pointing at myself.

Her eyebrows furrow in concern and she shakes her head. "No! I don't think that. My beliefs are different than my mother's but she's very pushy with them. She scares me," she quickly tells me and whispers the end thinking I wouldn't hear but I did.

My fist clenches in anger. Is her mother abusing her? I will kill her if she does. I take a calming breath and give her a small smile.

    As I open my mouth to respond my brothers interrupt us. "Here you go, Smiley, Blondie," Stu spoke up handing the both of us a donut each.

   I raise an eyebrow at him and grabbed it with the napkin he held out. "Thanks. Is this why you needed my car for a bit," I say chuckling as he nods his head quickly and he sat in his chair.

   "Yup! We were craving donuts so for the short break we went to the donut shop and bought each of us one. Including the twins which we already gave them their's too," he responds bitting into his own with a blissful face.