Wattpad Original
There are 17 more free parts

Chapter Seven: Trial by Fire

"I'm sorry, you lost me at the part where you totaled her car and somehow she still wants to work for you

"I'm sorry, you lost me at the part where you totaled her car and somehow she still wants to work for you..." Tanner chuckles, rubbing his forehead. We're hanging out in the firehouse kitchen and I just got done explaining how everything with Lila transpired. Telling the story out loud makes it sound even less believable than it already is.

I shrug. "I don't know, man. She really needs a job, I guess. But she's experienced and Hallie loves her and I'm about out of options."

"I swear to God, there ought to be a movie about how you guys meet women around here." Brooks leans back in his chair, getting way too much enjoyment out of this. "I mean, first Tanner and the crazy cat lady, now Riggs and the nanny. Can't you guys meet a girl through an app or something? The good old-fashioned way?"

"I'm not dating Lila." I elbow him playfully in the ribs. I guess he missed the part where I said I was her boss. Even if I was interested in her, that right there is a firm line. We both have too much at stake to fuck this arrangement up.

"Famous last words." Brooks smirks.

"That's what Tanner said about Zoe, and now we're months away from getting tuxedos fitted for his wedding." Coop chimes in. Until now, I didn't even realize he was listening, but now he's just as invested in my drama as everyone else.

"I actually mean it, though." I roll my eyes. "She's way too young, and she's not even my type."

Except she is, and we all know that.

Every time I look at her, she's got me questioning my own motives. What am I thinking moving a girl like that into my house? She's gorgeous and bold and temptation like that is the last thing I need. It's like playing with fire and I have enough ticking time bombs going right now to last me a lifetime.

"How young is young?" Brooks presses.

"Like more-than-a-decade-younger-than-me young. Fresh out of grad school."

Brooks shrugs. I forget I'm talking to the friend who got the short end of the stick in the morals department.

"This is about stability for Hallie and keeping my job. Nothing else." I say it for my own benefit as much as theirs.

"Well then, I hope it works out." Tanner stands, stretching his hands above his head. "I have to get out of here. I'll see you guys on Sunday for the BBQ?"

What the hell is he talking about? Our shift just barely started. "What do you mean, get out of here?"

"Lucas has an awards thing at school that I'm taking off for."

"Don't tell me Morgan is stepping in while you're gone," Brooks grumbles, slapping his hand over his eyes. "We just got rid of the guy."

Tanner smirks, eyeing me carefully. Oh no. I recognize that look on his face, and it usually means he's up to something.