Chapter XXVIII

The sun shone upon the sands that shifted to the shape of Aquila's feet. He was embraced by the ocean winds, blowing his salty hair off his Wayfarer shades. The waves crashed at slowly crept to the tips of his toes as he stood in the shores of the empty beach. The light rippled through it clearly, lighting up the grains of sand and the pieces of rock and abandoned shells on the shallow bottom.

Clumps of wet sand flinged to his feet when Seohyeon in a purple surfwear and Euphemia with an orange one ran from his back carrying their surf boards. The crystal waters sploshed by their feet as they rushed through it. The sound of the waves mixed with their silent laughter in the sea air.

Fritz' voice bursted as he leaped off a cliff, "This place is amazing!"

Aquila smiled as he stooped down on his knee to Dawn. He scratched its chin as it offered it some triple-choco-flavored ice cream. He kissed its head as it licked the ice cream on the cone. "I wish the times when I couldn't trust you off-leash came back," he said softly to its face, "You know, because you'd run and run until you get lost." His arm wrapped around its neck, scratching its chest as he dropped to sit down. His fingers picked up his sunglasses and placed it on Dawn's bi-coloured eyes as his mouth chuckled. He huffed silently as the palm leaves crackled and swayed, "I guess I'm sorry for trusting you when it's already too late. But hey, you can't blame me for caring."

It finished the ice cream as it devoured the cone. Its green and amber eyes stared upon the silence of its master. It began licking his arm and slobbering it with ice cream as he chuckled.

He smiled and scratched its chest, making it fall on its back with the pleasure, "We had a nice run, didn't we?" His fingers went to its belly as his stare turned to the waves where Euphemia stood on her orange surfboard as she tried to balance it with her bent knees on the wave while Seohyeon curled her purple board nearby as the sun glimmered on the waters.

Dawn rested its head on his lap and stared up to him silently.

"What the hell am I saying?" he asked silently as he shook his head with his chuckles. "I hope you had an awesome day strolling around the shore with your friends."

The dog licked his fingers and stared back into the sunset.

"Pretty isn't it? Quite a shame that things like that have to go," he chuckled as he stared with it, "Pretty things always go first, because they always get picked first, but it doesn't have to be going away forever."

It ran towards the shore turning its head back to him occasionally.

He smiled, "I guess we can do that." He stood up and grabbed a surf board nearby and walked towards the shore. He chuckled as he watched Dawn trying to chase a tiny crab, it later proceeded to trying to dig it out from its burrow.

The dog later proceeded to Aquila as he heard his whistle. It swam to the warm transparent waters gently flowing and crashing to his waist. Its tounge licked his arm as it carried it on to the top of the surfboard.

He gently paddled his arms to the crystal waters when he lied on his chest. He later flipped on his back and carried the dog on his stomach. He turned his head to the side and stared upon the sting rays on the sands beneath them.

The dog began barking to the water as it looked through its reflection at the side of the board.

"They're sting rays Dawn," he said to its ear, "they won't screw with you if you don't screw with them, so relax."

It turned to the other side of the board and began barking again.

He turned his head to where its stare were. He smiled, "That's a small reef shark, it isn't going to do anything."