Friends Left Behind

Jo never finished the mission with the rest of the team, rather she went back to Adrain's place and collapsed on his couch. This world was overwhelming, hell...they all were. In the past few years Jo couldn't remember the last time she had a break. She wasn't even sure if she could consider her few hours of sleep, a break. Especially considering she had nightmares the whole time.

"I'm not sure man, she just took off after I hugged her!" Adrain seemed to yell from outside of his door.

Jo slowly sat up from the couch and watched as Adrian walked in, while on the phone. He was looking down fiddling with his keys and weapons, far to distracted to notice Jo.

"Would you like some help?" Jo asked quietly.

Adrian let out a scream, dropping everything to the floor. He held onto his chest, making Jo smile. She quickly stood up, grabbing his things off the floor, to set them on the table.

"You left earlier...and came here?" Adrian asked.

"Yeah, I'm sorry," Jo sat back down "I'm tired Adrian, far to tired to be bouncing around from earth to earth...far to tired to even be helping anyone,"

"Then why haven't you learned to control the doors? Maybe, go home?" Adrian took a seat next to Jo.

"I've tried, it makes no sense...from what I've found the doors shouldn't even change, they shouldn't be doing what they're doing,"

Adrian nodded before placing his hand on Jos shoulder. He wasn't sure how to help, her situation was far to complicated for him.

"Does anything seem to trigger the doors?" Adrian asked.

"Maybe emotions, but I've never really figured it out," Jo laughed, while rubbing her face "it seems like a cruel joke most times,"

"Well on a side note, I bet you've met some amazing people on your journey,"

"I have, yet I've left them without a goodbye...without and explanation. You know I actually started keeping my most valuable items on me at all times, just in case,"

Without saying a word, Adrian stood up and stuck out his hand, clearly hoping Jo would take it. While she was reluctant, Jo did take his hand, and allowed him to pull her outside.

"Can i ask what we're doing?" Jo smiled, as she was pulled to an open space.

"I wanna win that fight, before you leave," Adrian smiled.

"Don't you have a mission to complete Vigilante?"

"We have a mission to complete...but we also have this side mission,"

"No Adrian...you have a mission to complete, Chris has a mission to complete, this isn't my fight,"

Adrian frowned, not expecting things to take this turn. He had actually wanted to take Jo up on the fight she said she'd win.

"But you're here, you're meant to help," Adrian said.

"I don't know why I'm here, Adrian...I don't know why I end up on these earths, but I can definitely say this is not my fight," Jo sighed and took a step towards Adrian "My fight is back on my earth, which I left behind,"

"If that was the case, then why did fate put you here?" Adrian looked around "if your fight was back home, that's where you would've stayed...who knows, maybe your world just has one to many Kryptonians, and the universe is kind enough to share,"

Jo looked at Adrian, smiling a bit. Maybe he was right about fate bringing her to all these earths, but that still didn't make it right to leave her family behind.

"We can hold off on the fight till we get through this mission, I don't wanna mess you up to bad," Adrian joked.

"Adrian..." Jo looked into Adrian's eyes, which were full of worry "look, you say fate brought me here...well I think fate is trying to tell me that I've somehow done my part. I don't know what that part is, but it's something,"

"No,"

"What do you mean, no?"

"I mean no, you haven't done your part...cause, cause you know what, there's still butterflies out there!" Adrian yelled "Sure you might be tired or in need of a break, burnt out...really burnt out -"

"Okay I get it, what's your point?"

"Whether you wanna accept it or not, I think you're a superhero to many worlds, not just your own," Adrian walked closer to Jo and grabbed her hands "the universe picked you for a reason, maybe it's cause you're able to handle more than any other superhero...or some other reason I can't really think of,"

Jo gave Adrian a slight smile, before pulling him in for a hug. He was right about many things, but regardless she was still tired and not ready to handle any more pain or loss. Just as Jo pulled away, she was hit with a wave or worry. She couldn't place why she was worried, but she pushed it to the side, which she often did.

"Let's put off the fight and head inside," Adrian said.

"Yeah, after you," Jo motioned towards his place. "I'm gonna take a few deep breaths and I'll meet you inside, order a pizza or something,"

"Will do," Adrian headed inside with a smile.

When Jo's worry completely disappeared and she cleared her mind, she headed back towards Adrain's place. When she reached the door, she closed her eyes and grabbed the nob, before stepping through.

"Hey, so I was thinking sausage or may-"Adrian looked around his place swearing he just heard the door open "Jo?"

Adrain's heart fluttered in fear, as he rushed outside, looking for his new found friend. He ran up and down streets, not stopping, hoping she had just gone for a walk.

"Jo!" Adrian called, tears filling his eyes "we were supposed to fight...I was supposed to get a kiss," Adrian fell to his knees in disappointment.