CHAPTER 004: BUMP IN THE NIGHT

Chapter 004: Bump In The Night

***

After exploring the first level of the house and the second level, seeing another bathroom, three bedrooms—including a bedroom Emmy assumed was Harold Morrow's and his wife's—a study and a smaller staircase leading to what was probably the attic, the Scooby Gang unanimously decided to head back downstairs and regroup. Going into the living room, they stood next to the coffee table instead of sitting on the couch or any of the two armchairs, since they couldn't be possibly okay for someone to sit on them after forty years of neglect. And just like the rest of the Morrow House, the living room was a picture of slow decay—peeling wallpaper that showed spots of barren wood, an empty fireplace with streaks of soot on the stone and abandoned, charred logs inside, and a clock on top of the mantelpiece practically entombed in cobwebs. A chandelier just as entrapped as the clock hung above their heads while a lamp covered in wispy cobwebs stood on a table next to one of the two armchairs, and just like every light fixture in the house, it didn't work.

But through the cobwebs, through the abandonment, Emmy could see hints of when the Morrows used to live here—a photo next to the clock of the Morrows, smiling at Lake Sampson, a couple magazines on the coffee table, and The Picture Of Dorian Grey next to the lamp, and on the floor next to the couch was a hair clip.

Emmy frowned as she looked at the shiny red hair clip lying next to the couch, almost as if it had been thrown down there. Maybe one of the Morrow girls had lost it. And yet, some parts of the red hair clip didn't look right...

"Emmy! Quick!"

Emmy jumped, turning to her friends grouped together, Sasha gesturing as she held up her camera. Her grin slipped slightly. "Hey, you okay? You've been acting weird all night."

"I'm fine. Must be lost in my own head. Hey, maybe I am possessed," Emmy answered, sarcasm slipping in.

"Want us to call the exorcist? Oh, hey, maybe Ghostbusters are in the neighbourhood," Quinn teased, before Sasha sharply elbowed Quinn. "Ow! Jesus, Sasha, I'm kidding! But Ems, you sure you're okay? You've been really trippin' out since we got here."

"I'm fine, guys. Really. All okay here," Emmy assured, smiling.

Her friends didn't look convinced, but Sasha jerked her head. "Okay. Well, come over here! I'm just about to take the photo!"

"I'm coming!" Emmy said, pausing before she bent down and grabbed the hair clip, sliding it into her pocket next to her switchblade. Something about it making her feel like she needed to get it, like it was important.

Emmy pushed why away as she joined up with her friends, Ben sliding an arm around Quinn and pulling her in close as she rolled her eyes, but grinned and made the rock n' roll sign as Emmy leaned against Sasha, smiling as her friend pressed the button.