CHAPTER 012: THE JOURNAL OF HAROLD MORROW

Chapter 012: The Journal Of Harold Morrow

***

CAMCORDER VIDEO FOOTAGE 004

5:12 AM, MAY 28TH, 1987

EMMY

In here! Hurry!

She hurriedly gestures to a room—a room with a door she had just opened.

Ben and Quinn run to it, as behind them the shrieking and howling grows louder and they rush inside the room. Emmy stumbles further inside while Ben and Quinn hurriedly slam the door closed—and just in time as it bangs, loudly and violently. But it remains closed.

BEN

Well, at least they can't go through doors.

QUINN

Yeah, that's one plus.

They chuckle, the humour unexpected given the situation and the terrors of the night, the grief and death, but perhaps some sense of humour must be found no matter how unexpected or horrifying.

The pair lean against the door, catching their breath as the camcorder Ben hasn't somehow dropped catches their faces, their movements, flashlights lighting up the floor in pale circles—they also haven't dropped them either. Emmy is nowhere in sight.

BEN

At least we have a moment to breathe.

QUINN

Right. That's a good thi—

EMMY

Uh, guys? Get over here.

Quinn and Ben exchange a look before they turn to face Emmy, as the camcorder reveals the room—a large bed with moth-eaten drapes and tables on either side of it, a curtained window with wooden boards, a chest of drawers and a vanity with a tarnished mirror, a large wardrobe, and Emmy standing in the middle, holding an open leather journal. Her flashlight shines on the pages and lights up her face that has gone pallid.

EMMY

This is Harold Morrow's journal. And listen to this.

That has Quinn and Ben move to Emmy's side as the Scooby Gang groups together, all three flashlights shining on the journal as the camcorder shows the loopy, half-faded writing on the yellowed pages as Emmy reads it out.