CHAPTER 008:... AND IN THE HOUSE

Chapter 008:

Chapter 008:... And In The House

***

Frozen.

That was how Emmy felt as she saw the monster prowl into the kitchen, growling lowly. Her eyes were trained on the pantry door, Quinn hidden behind it, and she could feel Ben trembling beside her—Emmy was certain she was shaking as well, the prickling feeling racing all over her body from the monster.

She prayed it didn't find Quinn. She prayed.

The floorboards creaked under the monster's weight as it walked around the kitchen before, suddenly, it grabbed the cabinet underneath the sink and ripped it open. When it didn't see either her, Ben or Quinn, it gave an angered shriek and slammed it closed before returning to its search. And coming closer to where Quinn was hiding.

"It's gonna find her. Ems, it's gonna find Quinn," Ben whispered, terror stark on his face—for himself, for Emmy, for Quinn. 

Emmy grabbed his shoulder with her free hand as she watched the monster circle closer to the pantry, knowing that Quinn would be as frozen in fear and just as desperately praying as Emmy was that it wouldn't find her, that it would walk past her.

"Emmy, we have to do something," Ben whispered.

He made to get up, and Emmy pulled him back down.

"No!" she whisper-yelled. "Are you crazy?!"

"It's gonna find her! It's gonna kill her!"

"And it will kill you too! We have to help Quinn without killing ourselves in the process!" Emmy hissed.

Ben glared at her, but got back to the ground—and just in time as the monster's head lifted, growling, as if it had heard them. Emmy and Ben grew very, very still, not even breathing, blood rushing in their ears, heartbeats pounding against their ribcages as the monster stood there, just as eerily still, before its head turned—right to the dining table.

Emmy clapped a hand over her mouth, fear pulsing a panicked drumbeat inside her as Ben seemed to stop breathing. The monster snarled, still staring at the table, and while Emmy tried to tell herself it could give Quinn a chance to escape if the monster was distracted she didn't want the monster to find them, she didn't want her and Ben to die, she didn't want any of them to die, oh God she might die right now, she didn't want to die

A muffled noise came from the kitchen—from the pantry.

Immediately the monster's attention was attracted back to the kitchen as it let loose a shriek and rushed to the pantry, unnaturally fast. Emmy's heart skipped a beat, because she knew Quinn must have caused the distraction—accidentally or not, it didn't matter—but it would cost her life if the monster opened the door or turned to shadow and appeared in the pantry, Emmy couldn't let Quinn die when she'd saved them, she couldn't lose another friend, she needed to save Quinn!