Chapter 18

Minji

I'm still seething with rage as we drive to Mom's. The things that Yuta did to her…sick. The things I'm going to do to him…sicker. From the passenger seat, Hanni nervously chews on her nail. She's similar to me in the way that she is neat and orderly. Because of her past, she's been driven to keep her life organized just so. I hate having to take her to Mom's but she seems so willing to help.

It fucking moves me.

I knew Friday when I locked eyes with her that I'd sentenced us to death. After a lifetime of love of course. But she'd be mine until the end. A crooked piece inside of me seemed to straighten the moment she became the main fixture in my life.

I'm trying desperately not to move too fast. The last thing I want to do is scare her away. But keeping my shiny little Hanni on her pedestal in front of me is where she belongs. I want to cherish her forever.

I reach over and grab her thigh through her jeans. Her palm covers the back of my hand, giving it a comforting squeeze. This woman is the filling for the void that's sat inside my chest for as long as I can remember. My life feels complete now. I'm going to work myself so far into her heart, she'll never want me to leave.

As we drive, I can't help but feel disappointed about earlier when she wanted to use a condom. Doesn't she know I want to put my seed inside of her? That I want her pregnant with my child? I'd suggest we marry tomorrow if I didn't think she'd send me packing. Hanni is like an abused puppy. It will take time to gain her trust. I want to cuddle the fuck out of her and put a collar around her throat that says she belongs to me.

"What are you thinking about?" she questions, her thumb stroking across the back of my hand.

How crazy you make me.

How my heart beats only for you.

How my brain won't let your face leave its presence.

How I'm going to blurt out that I love you long before the socially acceptable time because the internal raging fires that burn for you are out of fucking control.

"How beautiful you are," I tell her with a smile.

She laughs. "Somehow I feel there's more, but I'll let it slide since you're so sweet."

She has no idea just how much more…

"We're here," I tell her, my smile fading as anxiety sets in as I park next to my sister's Camaro.

"This is a nice home," she murmurs.

It's more than nice on the outside. My childhood home sits at the end of the street in an expensive neighborhood. The homes in the area sell in the millions.

The neatly manicured lawn and fresh paint job hide the horrific secrets that lie inside. The chaos and disorder. The absolute madness. The hired lawn people on call help keep up pretenses.

"Do you want to sit in the car?" I question.

She's already climbing out. "No. I can handle this. Your mom needs you."

I scrub my face with my palm and inhale a fortifying breath. This is going to be difficult. Last time I came by was when one of Mom's shelves fell on her. My skin still crawls from having to pull all that shit off of her.

I hop out of the car and stalk across the lawn to the front door. Behind me, Hanni is quiet but I know she has my back. I'm embarrassed, but she's already seen Haerin and she's been warned.

"Breathe through your mouth," I mutter as I push through the unlocked door.

One of the only few clean rooms in this house is the foyer but I can tell that will soon change. Her mess is starting to spill out of doorways into the space. Soon, there will be no hiding this from people. I cringe to think about that day when a postman or nosy neighbor spreads the news about what lies in this house.