Chapter 23

Hanni

I stare down at my phone in confusion.

Be brave?

Minji's cryptic words send alarm shooting through me. With her, I forget to always be aware of my surroundings. I've felt protected from Yuta, even if Minji was stalking me like a creep.

A sexy creep.

Oh my God, I have issues.

"So, anyway, Dr. Lee Jung thinks I should take on the task with a friend or family member. Minji has always offered to help when I was ready, but I'd kind of like it to be you," Haerin says as she pokes at her eggs. "I mean, if you want to."

I look up at her and smile. "I'd love to help you. You know that."

"I know you think I'm disgusting," she murmurs, tears shining in her eyes. "It just got out of hand."

I reach across the table and grab her hand. "Together we can work through it. I love to clean and organize things. When I had a peek, I saw some useful salvageable things. I bet you'd be able to donate a lot of stuff to those in need."

Her lips quirk up on one side. "I think I'd like that. Dr. Lee Jung says I need to connect with people, not things. She thinks I should ask some local churches to see if they would help us clear out the trash."

"I think that's a great idea," I tell her gently. "And just think, once you get your rooms cleared out, maybe you could help your mom with her house."

Haerin sniffles and pulls her hand away from mine to swipe away a tear. "Minji said once the house gets cleaned back out, we can bring Mom back home. That we can hire a nurse to look after her. And with her being serious with you…" she trails off. "I thought I could move back in to take care of her."

"I think she'd like that," I assure her. "Then maybe we could fix it up. Redecorate and make it look nice."

She nods. "Do you think Dad would come back home then?" Her eyes soften and she regards me with such an innocent look it makes my heart hurt. All I can think about is the way he forced Minji to eat his pet. The anger swells up inside me but I don't let her see. Apparently she was too young to know what an asshole her father was to Minji.

"Maybe," I say to placate her.

She starts babbling on about one of the paintings she's working on. I nod and engage but my gaze keeps darting out the window.

Be brave.

Everything Minji does and says has a reason. Everything she does revolves around me.

Haerin continues to ramble. My eyes keep roaming the street outside when they land on something that makes my blood run cold. Across the street, a man leans against a sleek vehicle. He's wearing a baseball cap and his head is lowered, hiding his face, but something in his stance is familiar. His body is larger and more filled out—as if he's spent six years straight working out.

I know exactly how he found me too.

The newspaper article. My promotion was splashed all over one of the biggest newspapers in the country. Plain as day, he was told where I worked. All it would take is one phone call. I'd let the receptionist know earlier this morning that I was having brunch with Haerin at the best waffle house in the city. Our receptionist babbles a lot and probably mentioned this. So many careless moments led to this.

When he lifts his head and I lock eyes with familiar evil ones I know, I realize I have to get the hell out of here. Away from Haerin. Yuta would destroy her like he once destroyed me.

"Haerin, sweetie," I say, jerking my eyes back to hers. "I need to leave. You have to stay here for me. Okay?"

Her nose scrunches in confusion. "Why? What's wrong? You're white as a ghost."