It Wasn't my Fault

It felt like any normal day in the Jones household. I woke up too early for my liking but still got ready for my day at school. I got dressed in my favorite outfit, which consisted of my brown plaid skirt and beige cardigan. I matched my clothes with my black pair of chuncky high heels with my knitted socks. For my hair, I simply curled it and pulled it half up with a black bow. I put my favorite pair of pearl earrings. My makeup look was a brown smokey eye. Today was going to be a good day, it's my birthday. I couldn't be happier. Celebrating any event in the house gets them very excited. I did a final look in the mirror and putting on my glasses. I grabbed my satchel bag and headed downstairs.

Breakfast felt normal, nothing out of the ordinary. I made myself a bowl of cheerios and ate quickly. They were waiting in the car for me so that they could bring me to school. Again, the car ride was like every other car ride I've been in. They wished me a good day and said happy birthday to me as I got out of the car. School was an average day, went to all my classes, and spent time in the library.

As I waited for them to pick me up, I played on my phone. It was now 3:45, school is done for the day and they weren't here yet. Odd, I thought to myself, but maybe there is traffic, Fridays always have the most traffic since it's practically the weekend already. Minutes pass, and soon it has been an hour, and they still weren't here. I knew that they wouldn't forget me, not once. Maybe it's just one of those days, I thought. I didn't live far from school, so I plugged in my headphones and began to walk home.

The walk home was just what I needed. It was nice and fresh, especially with that warm autumn breeze. I didn't have much homework to do, so finishing it would be easy. I was just about to pass my neighbors house when I saw it.

My house. But there was something wrong. There was a police car parked in the driveway. I was slowly walking towards my house, and that weird feeling came back. I felt it a few days ago. You know that feeling like something is going to happen, but it hasn't happened yet. That's what I felt as I was walking towards my front door.

I was reaching for my keys in my backpack when I heard a males voice. "Do you live here, miss?" he asked."I am a police officer that parked in your driveway, " he added. I jumped at the sound, and I dropped my keys in process. "Yes, I live here," I said. I turned around to see a young male police officer. Before I could ask why he was here, he handed me an envelope with my name on it. "Before you ask a million questions, I need you to look inside the envelope," he stated in a calm voice. "I know this is all weird, especially since I can't tell you everything yet, but please just look at it. My work number is in the envelope if you have questions, " he added. My mouth dropped, and I was so very confused. All I did was nod my head and took the envelope. The police officer was ready to leave, but before he did, I finally found my voice and asked one question. "What is your name?" I asked. The officer stopped and turned around and said, "My name is Officer Lancaster. But you call me Brian."

In any normal situation, I would ask more questions. But he left before I could. It looked like he was about to cry, odd, I thought. Plus I wouldn't accept the envelope without more information. But when he was talking, that feeling that I had earlier went away. I felt like I could trust him, even though I just met him seconds ago. I watched him drive away before picking up my keys. He waved, but the look he had in his eyes was different. As if he didn't want to leave.

They haven't come home yet. Out of all the days in the year, they seem to disappear right on my birthday. With that thought in mind, I headed to my bedroom to try to relax.
...
I kept glancing at the envelope that Brian had given me. I had so many questions and no answers. It wouldn't hurt anyone to open it. It's addressed to me. It has my name on it. What I didn't know was that it did hurt me a lot.

In the envelope, there was Brian's card, I added his work number to my phone just in case. The first thing that came out of the envelope was a small note. It read: