fifteen

"I will not!"

"Yes, you will!"

"You can not make me, mother! I am grown!"

"Well maybe i can not, but the Olo'eyktan and Tsahik can!"

Akina let out a loud groan of frustration, her hands finding their way into her unbraided hair that hung towards the bottom of her back. A woman stood where the young girl had, taller, more slender, and a hell of a lot sharper. Instead of a simple loincloth, she wore a woven skirt that flowed when she moved, a matching chest piece with it. A small bead hung down the middle of her forehead, the string woven into the half of her hair that was tied up.

"They may say one thing, but i know that Eywa will say something different! I listen to the Great Mother!"

The elder standing in front of the young woman huffed in annoyance at her daughter, shaking her head. "It is your duty, Akina! The Tsahik and Olo'eyktan are supposed to be mated!"

The woman couldnt help but snarl at the words her mother spoke, pacing back and forth in her mothers tent.

"You do not see Mo'at and Tarsem mated, do you?" Akina fired back, her hand waving to the direction where Tarsem and Mo'at awkwardly stood against the wall of the tent.

"That was for a different reason!" Akinas mother shouted back, her hands flying around in front of her in anger. It reminded the woman of Antu, the child throwing tantrums when he didnt get his way.

"And what about Jake and Mo'at, huh?" Akina retorted defiantly, her chin raised as she knew she had a point.

"That is enough, young lady! It is your duty!"

"My duty is to Eywa! I am spoken for, and nobody can change that!"

"It has been six years! You do not even know if Neteyam is alive!"

Akina froze at her mothers words, hurt reflecting on the young womans face. The mother immediately covered her mouth frantically, apologies slipping from her lips as guilt riddled her.

The young woman turned to the Tsahik and Olo'eyktan as they stared at the two, wide eyed. She gracefully bowed her head towards them, her hands clasping together in front of her.

"My duty is to Eywa. I will see if she has any advice for me, and return to let you know. Now, if you will excuse me." Despite her respect for her mentor and the leader of her clan, she exited the tent before either of them could speak.

She made her way to the edge of high camp, letting out a loud call for her ikran. After a few moments, Nini landed on the rocks, a screech meeting Akinas ears in a greeting. The woman gently patted her ikrans snout before forming tsuheylu, climbing onto the saddle and urging Nini to take off.

As the two made their way to the Tree of Souls, Akina fought like hell to push the thoughts of Neteyams empty eyes from her mind. The only reprieve she had from her thoughts was coming across some Na'vi travelers on their ikrans, the three lifting a hand to the woman who returned it. More and more Na'vi had decided to become nomads since the news that the war ended had passed through the clans, more visitors arriving to the Omaticaya every couple of months. After the first couple of times Akina had seen ikrans headed their way, she had lost hope that Neteyam would be one of them.

Nini gently descended to the Tree of Souls, the woman whispering coos to her gentle ikran as she climbed down. A breeze pushed by her as she walked up to the tendrils of the Tree, a deep exhale slipping from her lips as warmth filled her chest. Her hand gently grabbed a few tendrils as she kneeled, her other hand bringing forward her queue. Her eyes fluttered shut as she connected to Eywa, goosebumps rising on her skin as she felt the waiting presence.