𝑫𝒂𝒚 5:𝑫𝒆𝒃𝒓𝒊𝒔

(I've been studying for a Spanish test so yikes I'm behind on this oops. DW I'll catch up so here's day 5s prompt! This one is another rushed one and I'm sorry :( I'm just trying to write down something but school has been killing me)

The fire spread around me like a tail wrapping around my body. I had gone into that church to save kids and in that regard this decision was a success. I felt the wood burning, planting soot all over my face like blooming flowers coating my face. God it was hot. Needless to say. But it got worse when that wood plank swung down, the force of it knocking the wind out of me as it hit the back of my worn out jean jacket. My screams and whimpers voicing the hollows of the burning church

It was strange because my eyes burnt too, causing them to shut closed so tight that it hurt. I couldn’t see anything even as the wood plank had sprawled itself over me. It held me down with great pressure like shackles. Even as Dally screamed in sync with me, trying to force the plank off of me I couldn’t help but smile. It’s strange how so many lives could matter more than I. I was a murderer, one who killed a teenage boy. All I’d get is whoopins’ everyone else could see how weak I was and that was my problem.

I didn’t want to die anymore though. The pain of the embers seeping through my jacket and scorching my skin below couldn’t distract me from my thoughts. It’s strange how only then had I changed my mind. Those kids mattered more than me yet I wanted to live. I was being selfish, I know but… How could my life be so meaningless yet I tried so hard to hold on even though I knew I would be dead. Maybe not then but soon. No amounts of beatings or cutting would distract that. "It's broken. I'm broken."

And then I passed out. 

Words:303