Prologue

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka

After the Event Selection Exam concluded, I made a choice. I reached out to Director Sakayanagi, a man confined to house arrest thanks to a scheme set up by Tsukishiro. My aim was to form a partnership with the teachers in my grade, with him as the bridge. And after some convincing, I had succeeded in gathering his cooperation.

"Oh, one last thing. I hope you don't mind if I ask you something a little superfluous."

"Superfluous?"

Currently, just as we were about to wrap up our phone conversation, he threw a peculiar question my way.

"Have you thought about what you will do after graduation? Some aspirations, perhaps?"

"No. It's pointless, after all."

"That would mean..." He trailed off, having understood the meaning behind my words.

"Once I leave this school, I will return to the White Room."

As soon as I step out of this school, there won't be any barriers protecting me from that man. With me out in the open, he could strike whenever he pleased. He could attack me while I'm catching some sleep, or even when I'm out for a walk, or, believe it or not, when I'm just using the bathroom.

"So, you've accepted fate. You're cherishing your freedom for as long as possible."

"Yes."

In the White Room, my father's commands were iron-clad, but outside those walls, I had the power to refuse his orders and do whatever I wanted. My goal was to protect these three years of temporary freedom until the bitter end.

"Is that really okay with you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Is that the future you want?"

His question hung in the air. It was late at night, so I anticipated him to end the call sooner. Yet, he asked me something unexpected.

"It's pointless to think about it. No matter how much I try, I can't free myself from his grasp."

While the idea of permanent freedom sounded appealing, the reality was harsh.

My father wouldn't hesitate to go to extreme lengths to reclaim what he saw as his possession, even if it meant tracking me down on the opposite side of the globe. He was a powerful figure.

It didn't bother me. I once deluded myself into believing that things would change—that interacting with regular high school students would somehow reignite my humanity. But in the end, I was only satisfying my curiosity.

I had already come to a harsh realization. Despite being given the forbidden fruit of free will, I was still trapped in this endless, monotonous cycle. Every time I was faced with a new concept, I would dissect it and understand its meaning, all while maintaining a detached perspective.

This was why I felt no need to preserve my freedom. I was already content in my understanding of it, after experiencing it firsthand.

"...I see. If that's what you've chosen, then I won't question further." He paused for a moment, before continuing. "Ah, I just realized; it might be better to move the meeting toward the end of spring holidays."

"Why is that?"

"While I am unable to go into the specifics, I can assure you that Tsukishiro-san will be busy during the last three days of your break. It may be a safer option to hold the meeting during that time."

That was fair. Going into detail about a director's work would be like handing me the school's secrets, which would've given me an unfair advantage.

I supposed that it had something to do with arranging class placements and preparing for the entrance ceremony. While I couldn't verify that it was actually a safer option, I had no other choice but to take his word for it. He was a man known for his strong sense of fairness, so I didn't think he'd be the type to lie anyway.

"Alright, sure."

"That's settled then. In any case, I hope this school will remain a good memory for you. One that you will never forget for as long as you live."

"Thank you very much. That's what I'm also hoping for."

Once I ended the call with Director Sakayanagi, I flopped onto my bed and stared blankly at the ceiling, lost in thought.

Is that the future I want?

The question echoed in my mind. Even though I had given an answer just moments ago, it continued to linger.

People often look forward to the future because there's something waiting for them. Like a student, studying hard for a diploma that could lead to a stable, high-paying job. Or a person with bright ideas, looking to innovate something in the future.

Couples dream of a cozy home where they'll make happy memories. Scientists are curious about experiments that might reveal important truths. Artists see a blank canvas as a chance to create something beautiful and meaningful.

However, a single misstep, and suddenly that bright future starts to crumble. Maybe due to overconfidence, missing opportunities as they pass by, or underestimating the importance of perseverance in the face of challenges. The chances of a successful future can easily drop from one hundred to zero.

We look ahead because the future is full of chances. A big, blank page where people can write their own stories. That's why they are always so curious and hopeful about what's to come.

So as for me...

I didn't know.

Did I really have a future to look forward to?

===

Author's Note:

I'm just publishing stuff I've written a long time ago. Expect another chapter in 1-2 days lmao.