2: her neighbor

📖₊✧ 🖋

📖₊✧ 🖋

     SUZUKI HIMIKO LEFT the top two buttons unattended, as she straightened out her white button-up and black slacks.

the twenty-nine year-old woman tied her hair into a low ponytail and lightly sprayed some peppermint perfume around her neck, wrists, and collarbones.

     grabbing her brown briefcase and checking the time on her phone, she had faintly smiled.

     "perfectly 6:00 am".

     opening her apartment door, she was greeted by the sight of her next door neighbor and coworker: gojō satoru.

"good morning gojō-san. i see that we're heading out at the same time once again. seriously, what are the odds!", suzuki smiled.

     "indeed, what a coincidence", gojō lightly chuckled.

'i know it's no coincidence', the woman internally monologued, before walking side-by-side with the white-haired teacher towards the bus station.

suzuki first moved here and switched out from a corporate job due to the repetitive routine. she would wake up, go to work, work, clock out, go home and unwind. occasionally she would go out to hang with her coworkers, but there was no purpose; everything was so monotonous.

     hence she decided to complete a quick course to earn a certificate in teaching. she knew that she was still young, and therefore should be in charge of her own fate.

     upon applying for various schools around her district and getting rejected from all due to her lack of experience, suzuki had decided to expand her search to tokyo.

     she was elated to be hired by principal yaga and work with a welcoming staff. she couldn't wait to instruct high school students, whom she believes she'll be able to help shape their futures — and actually create a change in society.

     and although the move wasn't the easiest, suzuki had felt that she had made the right decision.

     though the one thing she did not account for was her love life.

     even though suzuki's about to hit her thirties, she never really thought about meeting someone. her past job was at an office, where most of the men were either married or not looking for anything long-term. and the only other place she could meet men was either through dating apps or bars, both which she wasn't very fond of.

     however, that all changed when she had taken notice of gojō.

     it didn't happen the moment when they met, nor did it happen when she had asked him to look over her lesson plans.

     it was spontaneous, and it was just a few days before school officially begun.

     "suzuki-san, i'm going to head home now. can you make sure all the lights are turned off before you leave?", iori utahime — the third-years' japanese and english teacher — requested.

"yes, of course! have a safe trip back home, iori-san".

     after iori left, suzuki wrapped up her work and started packing her briefcase. the woman turned off her desk light and was about to do the same to the entire office until she realized that there was still one desk light on.

     curious, suzuki attempted to quietly walk over, though her heels made it quite difficult to.

     "eh? suzuki-san, you're still here too huh", gojō waved.

     "mhm. i just finished actually, so is there anything i could help you with?", the dark-haired woman offered.

     gojō just shook his head, barely even meeting suzuki's stare as he was too focused on the sticky notes in front of him. each note was dedicated to his future students, filled with bullet points of basic information such as allergies and their learning capabilities.

the exhausted woman just hummed, acknowledging gojō's persistence and attention to detail. she found it sweet that he put in so much effort for his students that he's yet to meet. she had previously assumed that gojō was just another one of those people who just did the things he was told, and was good at it without even trying. however, after witnessing his work ethic, her perception of him completely changed.

     "well, good luck on the rest of your work then, gojō-san. take care and don't stay too late", suzuki advised.

     "thanks, suzuki-san. oh, by the way, do you need me to escort you back home? it's getting pretty late".

     "i'll be okay. thank you though".

     "are you sure? you take the bus, right? it gets pretty dangerous in the later hours of the evening", gojō warned.

     suzuki lightly chuckled at her colleague's worries, before taking out her notepad and writing something on it.

     ripping the page out, suzuki slid the uneven paper towards gojō.

     "i'll text you when i get home safely. and if i'm in danger, you'll be the first one i call".

     gojō's eyes seemed to light up a bit, picking up the paper and immediately inserting the number into his phone and sending over a text.

"contact saved. i'll be awaiting for your text then!"

giving gojō a curt nod in response, suzuki had then left the building, heading towards the bus stop.

once she had safely arrived back at her apartment, the tired woman had sent gojō a text, saving his number in the process.

"i'm glad. have a good night, suzuki-san :)", he texted.

and at that moment, suzuki knew.

she had just developed a crush.

📖₊✧ 🖋