4: her first day

📖₊✧ 🖋

📖₊✧ 🖋

     SUZUKI WAS EXTRA excited for today, for today was her first day of school as an instructor. and today, she would get to see all her students that she's been so eagerly waiting to meet.

although, perhaps she was a bit too happy too soon.

"good morning everyone! my name is suzuki himiko, and you may address me as ms. suzuki or as suzuki-sensei", the ebony-haired woman smiled.

the second-years in her class just stared at her, but suzuki reminded herself not to be discouraged by the lack of enthusiasm just yet.

"since today is the first day of school, we'll just be going over my expectations for the class and doing some self introductions so that we can get to know each other better. so would anyone like to start?"

when greeted with silence once again, suzuki was about to list some fun facts about herself before a blue-haired boy had raised his hand instead.

"yes, you over there".

"the name's mahito. and my fun fact is i like catching bugs and sticking them in jars. then i shake them until they pass out or die in there", the second-year stated, with a smile on his face too.

the whole class just looked at him, some snickering, while others giving him questionable glances.

a little caught off guard by that, suzuki just simply defaulted to, "wow, that's pretty incredible on how you can catch those tiny bugs with your hands!"

"oh no, i actually catch them with this contraption that i've created with some supplies at home. if you'd like though, sensei, i could bring one to school some time to show you and the whole class", mahito grinned.

"i'll have to get back to you on that, but thank you for sharing, mahito-kun. is there anybody else that'd like to speak?"

though a little hesitant, a blue-haired girl had raised her hand this time.

it might've been poor behavior on suzuki's part to secretly hope that the two weren't related, but she really did wish the second volunteer wouldn't be much like the first.

"yes, you?"

"u-um, my name's miwa kasumi! and my fun fact is that i used to be the captain of the youth basketball team!"

"amazing! i would've never guessed that you were into basketball, miwa-san. that's a great sport and a great fact to share. thank you very much", suzuki complimented.

miwa smiled from ear-to-ear, for she was glad her teacher looked a little less disturbed from her previous classmate's comment.

soon enough, others started chiming in too, introducing themselves with a fact, and chattering amongst themselves.

suzuki sighed a breath of relief, once she finally got to meet her whole class and actually hold two-sided conversations with them.

though she couldn't lie, because as soon as that lunch bell rang, she had headed towards the teacher's lounge for a break.

upon arriving there, she was pleasantly greeted by the smell of gojō's noodles heating up in the microwave. grabbing her own lunch from the fridge, suzuki took a seat first at one of the tables and started unwrapping her pathetic sandwich.

"oh, gojō-san, taking your lunch break too?", the dark-haired woman asked.

"oh hey suzuki-san! and yes, you? did you just finish teaching as well?"

nodding, suzuki had pried open her little container of fresh strawberries, glad that she had previously dipped them in some sugar to counteract the sourness.

"mind if i take a seat with you?", he smiled, for his food had just finished microwaving.

"be my guest", suzuki replied, more than happy to have someone join her for lunch.

"so, how is your first day so far? any trouble students?", gojō grinned.

     shaking her head, the dark-haired woman just smiled, "not really. there are some that i suspect may be a little mischievous, but not bad or anything...though this is my first time teaching, so maybe i'm not very good at reading teenagers".

'though mahito's comment about those bugs did disturb me just a little...'

snapping out of her own thoughts, suzuki made sure to return the question to gojō. she wondered how his day was so far, probably much better than hers since he's had more experience.

     "how about you? any students that have created a lasting impression?"

     "ahh...not in particular", the latter responded.

     'as expected. gojō-san did work very hard to research about his students after all. it's well-deserved'.

     "so, suzuki-san, why did you decide to become a teacher?"

     the ebony-haired woman had politely shielded her mouth, trying to finish chewing quickly.

"ah, sorry! i didn't mean to ask you while you were eating", gojō lightly chuckled.

"no worries, and please, don't apologize", suzuki stated, proceeding to explain how she had a strong will to escape her repetitive corporate life.

     "i see, well i'm glad you saw a problem with your life and decided to make a change. some people never even gather up the courage to do so".

nodding, suzuki thanked gojō for his encouragement before taking her leave.

upon walking down the halls, suzuki was suddenly reminded by gojō on why she had chosen this path. it was merely the beginning, and there was no way she was letting one student's weirdness affect her perception of this career.

     with her folder in hand, suzuki faced the closed door to her classroom with a smile.

"yes, i'm glad i transferred here too".

📖₊✧ 🖋