Chapter 33

August 2, 2021

I can't seem to find the right expression to wear seeing my Mom driving us to the airport. I know I'm so shitty as a person. I'm so shitty as part of their family. But I need to find a way to prove myself.

The soft wind from the open window brushes my bare face but something made a shock expression out of my non-existent face earlier. "H-HANEUL-
AH?!" I blurted out of nowhere which caused Mom to pull the brake hard that caused Hanni to let out a whimper when her head probably bang on the headrest in front of her.

"Omygod Haerin-ah, what are you talking about? You scared the hell out of me." Mom said with her heavy breath.

"What the hell Haerin..." Hanni mumbled.

I tried blinking for the second time while looking at the old golden bell tree. I'm sure of it. I saw something that resembles Haneul's figure.

I unbuckled my seatbelt and quickly hopped out the car. Whoever's hiding behind that tree, I'm sure it's Haneul. I'm sure it's her.

"Haerin! Are you insane?" Mom stated together with Hanni's shout but neither of them could stop me.

"Unnie!" I shouted.

The heat is taking up my upper body as I quicken my heavy steps.

"Haneul!" I yelled before drifting my feet towards the other side of the tree, "Unnie-" I pulled back my own tongue the moment I saw who's behind that figure.

I couldn't move for a moment but when I finally got the chance, I crouches down to match her. "D-Dani?" I murmured as I cup her cheeks. She's wearing a hoodie and sitting with her back leaned on the tree.

She look so pale...

"W-What are you doing here?" I holds her cheek with the most gentle touch I could ever do, "Danielle, you don't look so well, do you want me to take you home?" I asked but eventhough her head is down, I can see her smile forming with her eyes closed.

"I...what did I do...maybe I tried...maybe I tried..." she's not catching her breath but she seems lost in her words. Why? What's happening to Danielle?

"I'll just...I'm resting..." she finally uttered. Her weak hands touched mine that totally melts my heart in an instant. "Lost soul, they wander around...why can't they find the right place where they left the other one...why is...Haneul here...why..." Danielle's tears starts to fall on the ground.

"It must be hard...don't worry, I'm sure Jiwon unnie and your friends won't let you suffer for long. You'd get over that, you get me?" I said and taps her back.

I'm close to hugging her when Danielle's head fell to my chest. My heart stopped beating when I realizes that she lost her consciousness.

"D-Dani..."

"Dani?"

"Dani?!"

None of that reached Danielle's sense of hearing. All I can do is hug her body whilst everything isn't sinking right in my head yet.

I can't go yet...

I need to make sure that Danielle's alright before going back to Boston. I need to at least keep Haneul's peace.

__