Shorts: Puberty's Favorite

2 months after being Smurfed:

No One's Pov:

On a random summer day.

A pool that was opened for the colored folks was packed with people and their kids to take a nice cool dip on such a hot sunny day.

It was opened anonymously and it's been used every day since. There were 5 big pools in total for the neighborhood to swim in.

- One for toddlers (Kiddies)

- One for small kids  (Shrimps)

- 2 around 3-4.5 ft (Junior and Fly )

- A huge deep one (Tubbs)

Tubbs was where people can jump off the diving board and into the water. It was were most teenagers hung out and sat around. Their legs swaying in the water while they talked with each other. People who knew how to swim would actually be inside trying to scare others to get in.

Really people didn't know how to swim, just did it and those who actually managed to get the hang of it. So, it was a blast to be able to be in that pool. The adults usually sat at the Junior and Fly pools to watch their kids or to do exercises where their feet could touch the floor. The happiness and fun that went on those days were good memories

It was the best times to the youngins memories. Starting from how they wished to be older to sit on the edge of pool  and be cool. Sneaking over there and trying to blend in with the big kids. To splashing in the water at Junior and Fly, and playing with other kids in the neighborhood. It really brought everyone together. There was always someone who barbequed, someone who fried fish, and just a table of stuff to be served. 

It was fun times like these that would play over and over again in memory.

Well, this particular day wasn't the best for 13 year old Shawn.

The boy had been going through an awful lot of changes within his body and outside of it. He didn't want to be half naked in front of everyone. His voice had been cracking so much lately, there was so many pimples on his back, and he just felt so vulnerable in front of everyone.

"Hey." Deon appears next to him by the fence entrance. There wasn't any changing rooms or stalls so you had to come to the park changed and with your own towels. Restrooms were not provided so you would have had to go all the way back home. If you were caught peeing in the grass, you would've been yelled at. This was something nice, new and anyone be damned if they tried to ruin it.

"Hey." Shawn's voice cracked, and he looked away embarrassed.

"It gets better, bro." Deon throws an arm around Shawn's shoulders and they walk inside the fence to find a chair to sit their stuff at. Deon had already experienced his voice change, but Shawn was a bit of a late bloomer.

"Maybe we should come back tomorrow. We've been here almost every day. There's just a lot of people today." The youngin tries to reason with his friend about leaving.

"But Grace is here." Deon points at the 18 year old girl, he's had a crush on. She turns him down constantly but he still tries to make his move on her. Can't ever get the hint.

"And she still doesn't like you."

"Hey, Deon! Shawn!" The boys turn their heads to see their Uncle Marcus fake jogging over to them. Their shoulders drop in dread at what's to come in the next few hours.

"What yall doin here without my mamma?"

"She comin in a bit." Deon lies. Nana was, in fact, taking a nap while her shows were playing in the background. She didn't know the little boys were here but they did leave a note where she can find it and come see them.