Season 1 ep 4: The Long Black Train

Early in the morning, before even the sun was awake, I was being shaken. I groan shifting into the warm dark covers of my fathers bed as I hear my name being whispered. "Livvy, baby, come on. You said you wanted to come with us. Let's go, honey." My father coaxed me. "It's too early, daddy. Just leave me here to rot," my voice whined muffled by the bed covers. "Come on, honey. You'll feel better when you eat something." I feel him grab my arms, still clad in my pink pajamas. He continues to hold me as we walk downstairs and he sits me on the counter. I slump over still half asleep while he puts on my jean jacket and shoes. He picks me back up off the counter and walks down towards where the cowboys are eating to get ready for the herding today. Everyone says their hellos, still half asleep themselves. My daddy sets me down beside Lloyd before walking off to get himself a cup of coffee. He returns with his drink and me a muffin. "Eat it up, honey. We got a long day today." I sigh before starting to eat. I look over and see Jimmy gathering the horses making sure that they are all ready to go. The cowboys talk while eating, but I just love watching everyone sit around the fire that was boiling the breakfast.

I walk over to where my daddy is near the arena leaning on the railing watching the sunset. I lean into his side as Mr. Dutton walks up. "Mornin'," my daddy greets him and I wave my hand a little. "Eh" grumbles the elder man as Daddy hands him a cup of coffee. "What does the day bring us," Daddy asks. Mr Dutton sighs, "No tellin, Rip, but I know... I know this is the best it'll be." I nod my head silently in agreement. "Well, I guess it's all kind of downhill from here, huh?" My daddy questions. They stand quietly for a moment before Mr Dutton says, "Let's go to work." "Yes, sir," daddy agrees with his hand on my head guiding me alongside him. He starts to round up the cowboys while telling Jimmy, "Jimmy, get your shit together." I smirk at poor Jimmy as he stands as if asking, "What did I do?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sit in front of daddy as he's riding along the herd of cows. "Rip, you've got stragglers in the timber," Mr. Duttons voice says over the radio. Daddy lifts his hand to reply, "We're comin at you." He looks down at me, "Hold on tight." I tighten my hold on the front of the saddle as he turns to Jimmy. "We've got stragglers in the trees. I want you to come with me." Jimmy hesitates, "Uh..." "I ain't askin your fuckin permission, Jimmy," daddy snaps, "I'm tellin you, let's go. Keep up, let's go." I don't turn my head from the herd, "Yeah, Jimmy. Come on, let's go!" Daddy laughs, "That's right, honey. You tell 'em." "I thought you said running the horses makes the cattle nervous?" Jimmy asks. "What do you think that choppers doin. Now, come on, let's go."

We began running to catch the few cows that managed to get out from the main herd. I watch the chopper lean into the side of the cattle, so that they would swing their path wide making it easier for us to guide them. I gasp, watching Jimmy fall from the side of his horses. I tug my daddy's arm, pointing to where Jimmy lay. Daddy runs up to be beside him, "Don't cut your horse. Get up." I see the other cowboys run up, "Lloyd, help shit-for-brains with his horse. Start drivin them this way, goddammit." As we ride away from where Lloyd and Jimmy are, I just hope and pray that Jimmy gets his horse back soon or else he's gonna be made fun of for the rest of his life. We continue to work with the herd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back at the barn, I sit on a stool talking about nothin with Mr. Dutton as Mr. Emmett makes an appearance. Mr. Dutton is taking off his horse's items, "John." "What'd we say, Emmett?" "That stallion was giving you a hell of a time, but you didn't give an inch" I nod towards Emmett, agreeing. "I never do." "How you feelin, John and Livvy?" Emmett asks us. I give a thumbs up smiling as John answers, "Hungry and tired." "I mean long term." Emmett says, moving to stand beside him. "'Cause, we need a commissioner that got clear eyes." I tilt my head kinda confused because I've never heard that word before. Co-mission-er. Sounds important, I decided. I slip off the stool, not wanting to interrupt the now deemed important talk.