s1 e5: Coming Home

A few days later, I'm stood between my daddy and Mr. Dutton as we watch the horses be showcased. It's late in the morning, so the sun is starting to warm up the air around us as it shines from above. "Who do you want to see first, John?" Travis asks. "Surprise me," he rebuts. Travis shouts out, "Hey, Andrea! Bring him!" A man in a teal shirt drives a giant brown and white stallion forward. Everyone is watching as Travis tells us about him, "This is little Joe Cash. Nine-year old stallion. He's an NRHA Futurity winner. AQHA world champion. He's a CRHA Challenge Futurity Winner. The only thing he ain't won is the Kentucky Derby, and that's cause he ain't no fuckin racehorse." I tug on my daddy's arm, using him as leverage as I lean into his ear, "I really like this one. Ain't he pretty, Daddy?" He chuckles, wrapping his arm around my waist to keep me steady, "Yeah, honey. You like him huh?" I nod, "Think I could get him? So I can be a cowboy?" My daddy looks at me smiling, "Honey, you got a long ways till you get a horse like that." I frown thinking back to Tate and I's conversation, but don't press any farther.

"He's got a $4,000 stud fee. He's booked for the full season, booking up for next year. He pays for himself in three years. And then he keeps paying you." I stop listening as the business talk gets busy, but I keep watching the horses run around doing tricks in the arena. Every once in a while when one catches my eye, I point to show Daddy each and every one. "Which one do you like?" Mr. Dutton asks my Daddy. "I like that $5 million bastard that just spun a hole in the ground, but it ain't my money." Mr. Dutton looks down to meet my eyes that were looking at him. "And you, Livvy?" "Gonna be honest Mr Dutton... I like them all." He laughs, but stops when Jaime says over his shoulder to his father, "We can't do it." "Don't ever tell me what I can and can't do. Livvy go pick out a horse," Mr Dutton says to me as we all turn to see Tate and Monica standing behind us hand in hand. I do a little dance in my head that I was left with the choice.

I turn to my daddy, "I get to pick?" looking for confirmation. "Yep, baby. Let's see them horses again, Travis." My daddy says to the salesman.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

After picking a golden horse, I walk over to the Dutton's house where I know Tate will be. I see him and his mother standing on the side of the porch waiting for Mr Dutton to stop talking to Jaime. "Hi Miss Monica and Tate!" They both greet me, Tate more enthusiastically. I talk for a moment about my book I'm reading to Miss Monica and she promises me we'll get back to doing some school work.

Mr Dutton walks over to where we are standing, "Had breakfast?" "Not hungry." Monica answers by pulling her cardigan closed. "How about you Tate?" the grandfather asks his grandson. Tate shakes his head as Mr Dutton tells him, "Or maybe just skip to dessert?" "Like what kinda dessert?" Tate asks. "Well there's some cookies in there the size of pie plates" "Big cookie," Tate says looking over at me as my eyes widen at the thought. Tate looks towards his mother and I look towards Mr Dutton for allowance to go inside. They both grant permission as we run to the front door ready to ruin our appetite.

We walk into the kitchen where Gator is finishing his cleaning from breakfast. I greet him, "Mornin, Mr Gator!" "Morning, Miss Livvy and Mr Tate. I'm guessing you heard about the cookies." Tate and I share a look before nodding. Gator laughs before setting the plate down in front of us. Our eyes widen comically before I hold one up beside my head. "Dude, Livvy. That thing is bigger than your head!" We quickly find the cookies of which we want and start chowing down. I can see from the window that Mr. Dutton and Miss Monica are having a serious conversation.

"Whaddya think they're talking about?" I ask Tate. He shrugs, "Probably about my dad, some serious stuff is goin on, I guess." I nod, not knowing what to say. "Dude, you ain't gonna believe it, but I got into an actual cowboy fight!" I recap what happened with Fred, Jimmy, and I. We continue talking about nonsense as I see my Daddy walking up towards Miss Monica. She points towards the house and I run to the door. I run into my daddy- still holding a giant cookie- and hug him with one arm. He pats my head before kneeling.