s1 e3: No good horses

I lay under the dark green quilt, listening to the birds chirp their Good Mornings. I knew today wasn't going to be easy for the Dutton family. Rolling over, I pull back the covers, yawning and stretching. I slide down the side and pad my way to the kitchen. I walk over to the paper calendar hanging on beside the entrance to the kitchen. The date was circled with a sad face in the box. Today was the anniversary of Mrs. Dutton's death. I learned quickly what that meant from growing up beside the family. Last year, Daddy sat me down and told me what had happened, after I asked why everyone was quiet. I felt so bad for them. I never had a mother, I guess, technically. Daddy or the wranglers just took care of me. It didn't bother me too much. The only time I really felt sad about it was when I was at the school with Miss Monica and some kids asked me if she was my mom. They laughed at me when I told them that I lived with my daddy. I never told anyone about the exchange because I didn't want someone else to get their feelings hurt.

Walking fully into the kitchen, I quickly eat some chocolate pop-tarts before shrugging on my coat and my boots from beside the door. I walk back to the kitchen and grab the small vase that held some blue flowers I had picked yesterday from the shorter table daddy bought for me. As careful as I could be, I walked over towards the Dutton's house. As I stood at the door, I realized I didn't have a plan to actually get the door open. Since I was standing at the side door, there wasn't really a table to sit down the flowers and open it myself.

All of a sudden, the side door swung open, a tall body walking through. I quickly step to the side, only losing some water to the flowers. The person stops and looks down at me, "Good going, kid." It was Miss Beth only in her dressing gown holding a green bottle. I nod my head walking through the door that she left open. I push past Jaime who was on the phone. I set down the flowers, grabbing a sheet of paper to write to Mr Dutton that the flowers are for his wife when I hear, "What the fuck," from Jaime. I glare at the back of his head knowing he was going to get hurt by Beth. I continue writing my note as best as possible. With a few minor misspellings, I drew a heart and signed my name at the bottom of the paper. I hear Beth and Jaime still arguing as I walk out of the house. She's sat naked in a feeding trough. I see Daddy walk up to her saying something. I watch as he notices me watching them and he sighs. Beth stands up ignoring the jacket Daddy held out to her for her to take. I laugh to myself at her bravery before going over to my dad. "I didn't want you to see that," he says to me. "Yeah, well. I'm gonna see a lot on this ranch." "Did you take the flowers?" "Yessir, left them in the kitchen with a note. I wrote it all by myself, even signed my name." He chuckles, "I'm impressed, honey. Maybe I'll get you to write me a note one day." "I'll do it anytime, daddy. Just say the word."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that day I see Lloyd practicing his roping on some calves that were left in the ring. "Hi Mr. Lloyd," I greet as I approach them. "Hey, Livvy," he responds back, still roping. "Is that hard?" I ask genuinely curious. "It can be, I guess. Why you wanna learn?" he asks, turning to me. "I ain't got nothin better to do. I want to get good, so I can help Daddy when he lets me." "Well, come to the barn with me. We'll get you the dummy to practice on."

We walk together to the barn. When we approach the entrance, he hands me his rope. "Here, get a feel while I bring the dummy out." I take the rope in my hands, feeling it. I give it a few swings as Lloyd comes back. He stands behind me and shows me the right way to hold it, before letting me really swing it. It takes a few trials and errors before I get it to ring above my head and throwing it towards the fake cow head. It completely misses which makes me groan, frowning. "Hey, cowboys don't give up. Keep trying, you'll get it," Lloyd encourages me. I keep practicing with Lloyd cheering me on. Finally, after what seemed like hours, I get it to hook around the neck. I pull it tight causing the rope to tighten around the neck. I let go of the rope, running towards Lloyd. "Mr. Lloyd! I did it! I actually did it!" "Damn, girl. Maybe we'll make a cowboy out of you yet," he laughs back to me huggin my head to his side. I smile to myself as he walks away, but I keep practicing.