the case I

The water was cold when his hands were dipped inside its flow, washing a metal cylindrical bar with a rare, somewhat ancient carving on it, shining as the water drops traveled through those carvings. It was a small channel of water stream which would join the river of Bahuda in the cursed belt region, and also the area which would witness William meeting Rivia in the coming time.

There was an unexpected snowfall that morning, spreading a thin white blanket over the land which would soon melt away in the coming days. The sound of the stream engine grabbed his attention, while making its way through the mist of morning and snow-separating the snow from the metal plates of the track on the small bridge over the stream-as the engine ran, pulling the luggage behind, taking it to Thena. That was the only engine line in the nation, a gift from Thena after the peace treaty, made for goods transport. More were to be established soon for passenger transport.

He stood in his standing, dressed in black, with a waistcoat and a long coat covering it. For probably the first time in his life, he had not trimmed his facial hair to the point that I could have mistaken him for some 30 year old man. Once the engine was gone, his eyes redirected toward the metal piece which he wiped with the dry white cloth before keeping it inside his long coat pocket. His eyes turned again, looking at the snow on the trees before he left the place.

Snow descended like the falling dry leaves of the autumn while the circular cap on his head protected him from it and he walked ahead. His eyes grabbed the sight of an animal he failed to recognise, far away running for cover from momentarily snow's descent.

'Even a mere wild creature with no intellect prioritises its safety, its protection,' he said to himself. 'Nature's instinct of survival.'

The tree cover reduced as he walked out of the woods. He was on the border of Zora, a town on the southeastern outskirts of the nation of Lydia. The town had once gained attention as a beloved to royal family but after the old Lydian ruins fell, it became just any other town. It still had its name, after the king's grandfather.

The old mansion and its massive vicinity had never before gained much popularity except some rumors about it being abandoned some 50-100 years ago, and people seeing the figures of a white lady and childrens from far outside the gates. But that day, after a long time there were people gathered before the gates. He noticed people as he walked back in town, and as the curiosity filled his mind, his feet diverted toward the group.

Noticing him arrive, a person from the group walked toward him, "Mr William Von,"

"Just William."

"Ah, Mr William," he said and William sighed at his response. The person touched his hat, "It has been a long. I would have not recognised you in this outfit and the beard."

"Well I'm happy to tell you you did recognise me," he replied. "Having a big beard has its advantages. Next day if I come clean-shaved, no one shall recognise I was here today."

The person laughed.

"I'm sure this mansion is not the usual meeting place for these usually unoccupied, useless people," William said. "What has happened?"

"I am not sure if I know exactly," he replied. "I too was passing through the area before their talks grabbed my attention, tempting me to listen to what happened. People say there is something sinister happening in the mansion."

"And what's new in that?"

"The deaths have occured in the mansion vicinity, inside the gates of course," he said. "Three people were found dead this morning. Well, that was before I arrived. Their bodies were taken away before I came. Some people are amused for some reason and most are scared the mansion is in the conversation again."

"I sometimes do not see reason to be terrified," William said. "If something bothers you, and has nothing to do with you, you walk away. Instead of getting involved in it."

"It must be interesting for someone like you." Then the person smiled, "Pardon me."

"Indeed it is. But my hands are full."

"Ah, pardon me if I took much of your time," the young man said. "I saw you after a long time, so just wished-"

"No, no. Don't think what is not important," William said, calming him. "I was on a break today. You did not take my time. But I must leave now."

The young man nodded, "yes, I shall leave you with your work. It was nice meeting you again. After a long time. Take care Mr William." And William sighed again, then smiled, "next time we meet, let's have tea together, Lenard." He touched his hat and left the place.

He entered the main streets of the town from the east and could clearly see the morning rush of the rush hours upon the fellow town-dwellers. People opening the shops, servants transporting the luggages behind the owners and the sound of motors traveling-these vehicles were in trend back then. Compact, sturdy, heavy-duty and yet very fast on pace. These two-wheeler motors were gems. Some people waved at him as he walked and he did the same in response.

"See who is on this side of the town," came the voice, grabbing his eyes. "Did you, perhaps, lost your way dear one?" He saw an old lady sitting on the stall beside the road.

William stopped and soon noticed the moving cart getting disrupted by him, and walked towards one side of the road. "Where are you lost? Walking in between the moving road." the lady said.

He shook his head, "I had things going on here," he pointed toward his head, "and didn't saw I was blocking the road."

The lady chuckled, "I would not have recognised you in that beard and the outfit you chose to wear." And William smiled to himself. "What are you doing on this side of town?"

"I had some work to attend to," he replied. "Near that mansion. And even without this snow, the cold has increased in recent days," he said, addressing the long coat and the circular hat.

"The old mansion?" Old lady gave a look. "I hear there were lifeless bodies found inside its gates this morning. They were horribly wounded with marks of white and black on them. Must be a spirit."

"Who told you that?"

"Many. Everyone is talking about it."

"Don't listen to others," William said. "People make big deals out of small things. It is their nature and they have got a lot of time to waste, making such whispers. The bodies were found, but they are not painted or some other thing. They are just dead, that's all."

"People don't die just like that, son. There is something in that mansion, I'll tell you that. I say you maintain distance from that place. You see, history has a way to repeat itself."

"History?"

"Did you not know?" the lady and a surprised look. "Things like these had happened before. I remember when I was a little over your age, I think, I remember hearing such things. People say there is someone-like a wave which moves undisturbed. The bright hair flows, and flickers like a flag of peace while she pulls the life out of living."

Then noticing William's hair, she hesitated, "Ah, um, I do not mean to imply anything, dear. But sinister things happened and people said many such things back then. People died in that area."

William smiled, "I understand. You have helped me in many ways before. I know you did not mean that in that way." As the trolleys on the street moved ahead, the road was cleared and William touched his hat. "I must leave."

"I heard about the young girl," she said before he could leave. "I remember meeting her some days back-and then things happened. Really unfortunate of her. Did she meet you? She was in a hurry back then. She said she had to meet you at any cost and soon."

William froze for a moment, and chose not to reply. Then he said, "I'm afraid, I do not recall meeting with her." And he walked away.