the case II

When it is time, these children of the world and divine shall choose their way, and walk on the path toward their destiny.

Mary, I would say, seemed quite interested in the events. She had asked no questions and was quiet the whole time. Neither was she bothered by the change in William's tone when he was describing the events.

I pictured her sitting opposite to him. Both of them presumably on the soft cushion or a chair, resting the chair against the wall and a window behind her, highlighting the outline of her skin and her hair while her eyes fixed on William and the recorder did its work.

~~

'My eyes opened to George's voice; as if his nagging words plunged into my dreams and grabbing my collar, pulled me out of the sleep. His initial words were unclear as I was trying to get back to my senses but I could make out he was saying something about tidying up the room.

'"I must remind you, friend George, genius people don't waste time on such trivial matters like tidying up the room. Their minds are complex with many things going on at a time."

'"Idiot," George replied in a low voice and I nodded to him, "Yes, yes. You're right. Genius is one story above madness and is often mistaken as Idiots. You're right when you say that, friend."

'"Enlighten me, then," George said. "Are these geniuses acquainted with the concept of self-discipline?"

'I nodded, "They are, sometimes . . . The lower ranks in the genius emit those characteristics, I'm aware. I'm afraid I can't speak of myself. I never found someone of my rank. And in any case, I'm the only one living here, eating of my money and paying for the place, if you know what I speak of."

'George seemed irritated and sat on the chair near the window, keeping his cap on the table beside him. I woke up and folded my sheets, kept them in the cupboard at the end of the room and walked toward the mirror.

'He was silent for a while.

'"How long do you plan to keep that depressed, bearded-face look?" he asked when I was washing myself behind the closed doors of my bath. "You look like some typical person of your age-someone thinking they have had enough from life, labelling those small events with terms like trauma and depression, when they haven't seen what real depression feels like. Pathetic."

'"I sure was not expecting such intense- constructive criticism. In contrast, I think this look suits me. It makes me look more mature, and bigger and people don't doubt my knowledge. Though I hate that my beard doesn't match my hair that well. But some girls complimented me on it."

'"And does Rita know that?"

'I did not reply and I heard him sigh and he went quiet. I scrubbed the foam off and washed my body. I was always proud of my body always being in shape even after my irregular exercise schedule. I dried myself and dressed.

'"Any reason for your visit?"

'"Do I need any?" he would say and I shook my head. I walked ahead and rested on the chair opposite to him, leaning to the window, grabbing the random book on the table.

'He broke the silence, "I did not see the lights of your room yesterday. Where were you?"

'"I had some work. Some personal work in the eastern part of Zora."

'He gave a look, "So you did start walking out of this nest of yours."

'"I visited the small river channel nearby. I heard peacocks were seen in that area recently." And it didn't took him long to notice how excellently I had made up that reason.