Issue 5

Where fall the gods ... - Part 5

Alaina's mom and dad didn't even realise that Caitlyn hadn't, in fact, come home with their daughter, but at least they had the decency to look away from the tv for a scant few seconds to say goodnight. Caitlyn had already called Aunt Mary, telling her that Alaina no longer needed her emotional support and, after only a few moments, arrived outside the apartments, little old hatchback rattling away as she waited for Caitlyn to emerge.

"Do I have to tell you to keep this a secret?" She turned her back on Aunt Mary's car as she tried to catch Alaina's eyes. "This isn't a joke. Black Staff's enemies have killed dozens, hundreds of people. You're the only one who knows and, I swear, if this ever gets out, I'll never speak to you again."

"Wow! So harsh." Mouth open in mock surprise, Alaina waved over Caitlyn's shoulder to Aunt Mary. "When have I ever told anyone one of your secrets? ... oh, wait. Bad choice in words. Okay, from this point on, I will never say a single word about this or anything else you think is a secret. I promise. Now, scoot, you big superhero goose, and say 'Hi' to Aunt Mary for me. She is so nice!"

With fluttering hands, Alaina ushered Caitlyn away towards the waiting car. Almost as soon as she sat down, she received a text from Alaina, with an animated GIF of someone zipping their mouth closed. If she wasn't careful, she'd tell everyone she had a secret by telling everyone that she couldn't say anything about a secret she may, or may not, have. The girl was a nightmare, but still Caitlyn's best friend. She could do nothing but trust her.

"You could have told me. That's all I'm saying." Aunt Mary's fingers unfolded from the steering wheel, showing she meant no offence, and Caitlyn's stomach turned, wondering how much her aunt knew. "Sending Alaina to tell me you were staying over. Is it a boy? I don't mind you seeing boys, you know. I'm not going to suddenly jump out of bushes and give them The Talk before inviting them to dinner. Just, and I can see the eye-roll already, be careful. And you know very well what I mean by 'careful'. You do know what I mean, right?"

"God! Aunt Mary! There's no boy." Caitlyn slid down in the car seat in embarrassment, texting a series of emojis telling Alaina that she was watching her. "It's nothing like that. I just, you know, after today, just wanted to spend time with Alaina."

"Oh. Oh! I'm sorry. Are you girls, you know, together?" Again, fingers unfurled as Aunt Mary displayed how innocent her questions were. "Sweety, whoever you love is fine with me. At least it takes one 'careful' off the table. There are many other 'carefuls' that you have to keep in mind, though. Remember that."

A wagged finger turned into a squeeze of Caitlyn's hand and Caitlyn couldn't feel it because she had already died from embarrassment. She didn't even deny the ridiculous notion of dating Alaina. Not ridiculous because Alaina was a girl, but because Alaina was Alaina and anyone who dated her had Caitlyn's utmost sympathy. She loved Alaina more than anyone could ever understand, but, sometimes, a lot of the time, Alaina was far too 'Alaina' for her own good.

She looked out of the car window as the street lights passed by. Only hours before, she had gone to school with the hope of meeting Raymond Alden and proving to him why she, and only she, deserved that internship. Since then, she had watched as two supers had fought, and died, gone to hospital, had Raymond Alden, himself, tell her she had that internship, fought her Professor in a super-powered battle and had to suffer the dump that was Alaina's room. It was a lot to process.

"I'm not dating Alaina. I'm not dating anyone." If she had to listen to Aunt Mary drone on in her sweet, inclusive way about how she'd be proud to have a lesbian in her house for much longer, Caitlyn would wish for the suit to come back so she could fight another super-villain. "I have this internship to think about, then college. I don't have the bandwidth for more than that."