Issue 8

Fear response - Part 2

He descended like a god from on high, gratefully accepting the adulation of his worshippers, in a suit that probably cost more than the gross domestic product of several small nations. Standing in an easy, frivolous manner, hands in pockets, jacket tucked back over his wrists, Raymond Alden gazed down through the thick glass of the elevator as it headed toward the enormous reception area of the Ald-Tech building.

Caitlyn had expected more ostentatious decorations within the open plan area. Standards fluttering from the surroundings with Alden's face peering down like some megalomaniacal tyrant. A corporate Nuremberg, filled with prone minions, not daring to catch his eye. Instead, there seemed to be a great deal more hanging plants. Though there was one, huge, tv screen that had Ald-Tech's accomplishments and brief snippets of future products, playing on a loop. And families. Lots of smiling families, staring out into a bright future. The tv had a lot of that.

Surrounded by a small group of other students, college students, Caitlyn felt more than a little out of place. Too young. Not dressed right. Short. The call had come before Caitlyn had even had chance to wake up. A summons to a pre-internship tour that the caller made clear, she absolutely had to attend. In clothing appropriate for a working environment. That proved a problem, but Aunt Mary had loaned her a bland blouse and black pants that were a little too baggy for her.

"Welcome! It's great to see you all so bright and early!" With arms spread, Raymond Alden exited the elevator and gave them all a smile. A bright, white smile that fell upon everyone, letting them know just how much he appreciated every single one of them. "I'm sure I don't have to tell you what a great opportunity this is. Not only for you, but for Ald-Tech. You are the future and we would be privileged to have your intelligence and skills adding to our team."

He waved to the side and a number of white-coated minions appeared, each carrying lanyards with security passes dangling from them. Every future intern received one, hanging them around their necks without question. Caitlyn turned hers over in her hands. It felt heavier than she expected, but she hooked it over her head anyway.

"Please wear these at all times. They give you access to the designated areas of the tour." One minion, a tall, willowy blonde woman who looked like she had stepped off a catwalk, clipboard in hand, walked along the line of interns. "Please remain with the group and do not touch anything unless told you can do so."

She stepped back and moved to Alden's side, a face so stern that she could replace any one of the Presidents' faces on Mount Rushmore. Alden didn't look at her. He saved all his attention for the wide-eyed interns that appeared dizzy with anticipation of what the great industrialist had to say. Caitlyn, however, felt hungry. She had left without breakfast and now she could feel her stomach readying itself to growl and embarrass her.

"Now, I can't come on the tour with you today, but know that I am excited for what you may bring to our family. I'm sure all of you are eager to see the facilities and Miranda, here, will keep me informed about everything." He clapped his hands together, rubbing them as though he couldn't wait to get started. "Any questions before I head out to perform the oh-so boring everyday business dealings that are keeping me away from such wonderful young minds?"

"Um ... I have ... uh ... something." Before she knew it, Caitlyn's hand had fluttered upward, her stammering voice sounding like an out of tune piano played by a half-asleep mouse. She cleared her throat. "I mean, I was wondering ... what progress Ald-Tech is making in the field of liquid metal nano-robotics and the efficacy of affecting biological reactions in a live subject?"

Alden didn't even blink. Caitlyn did. Where that question had come from, she couldn't imagine. Sure, she had spent a restless night wondering what, exactly, Black Staff's suit was made from and, yes, she had made a couple of leaps as to what it could be, considering the way the suit acted and how it had, seemingly, managed to heal her. Several times. She hadn't come up with anything that didn't sound like science fiction, but she lived in a world where aliens flew across the skies.