Issue 20

A nest of hornets - Part 8

Caitlyn looked around to see where the other cops were, but she only saw a back road. Intermittent trees dotting the sides. More of a dirt track than anything. In the distance, she could see the tips of New Hasting's skyscrapers and, behind her, she saw a fading pillar of smoke. Speaking of smoke, the old cop tapped a pack of cigarettes against his hand, lifting it to place the tip of one in his mouth.

"You don't mind? I'm supposed to be giving up. My daughter would have words if she knew, but, sometimes, I just need to calm my nerves." He didn't wait for an answer, taking a Zippo from his pocket as he put the pack away and flicking it open. "You have a problem. See, technically, vigilantes are illegal in New Hastings. In reality, we let supers get on with their business and we clean up afterward. You don't know the rules, the unspoken rules, and that means you're a danger to yourself and others. Like today."

The lighter flared into life and the cop dipped his head. Taking a long, deep drag, he lifted his head up and squinted at Caitlyn. He just stared, as though he wanted her to say something, but she had no idea what to say. She couldn't test the strength of the cuffs while he was looking, not while she could see the clip on his holster wasn't attached. He was ready to draw that old revolver and Caitlyn wasn't so certain the suit was bulletproof.

"So, am I under arrest?" Her voice sounded muffled beneath the mask. Sometimes she wasn't even aware she had the mask on, it felt so comfortable. "I could just fly away."

"I could just shoot you." He looked relaxed. Not a care. No fear. No nerves. Only taking lazy drags of the cigarette every now and then. "Blood Obsidian. Not a name that screams 'hero'. That's Black Staff's outfit. Changed. Looks more like armour, but it's his. How'd you get it?"

"Thrift shop." She rolled her eyes. This wasn't the time for jokes. She couldn't help it. Wearing the suit made her nervous and she joked when nervous. "I ... just sort of got it. I don't know how."

He nodded at that and looked beyond her. She turned her head to see a helicopter, another one, rising from where the smoke trickled into the sky. It turned in a lazy circle and then moved away, back toward the city. That smoke was her doing. Partly her doing. She had some responsibility for it, even if it was Vezzpa that had caused most of the damage.

Looking back at the cop, she saw him rub the bridge of his nose. She had thought he looked old before, but now he looked weary. She could break the handcuffs now, if she wanted. She knew the suit gave her enough strength for that, and it gave her enough speed that she could take his revolver before he could blink. Something told her to wait, though. After a second or so, his hand moved to his stubbled chin, smoothing down his rough skin.

"Rule number one, kiddo. Civilian safety is more important than catching the bad guys. It's a tightrope. You have to make split-second decisions. Is the bad guy the type to target civilians? Are they the type to cut and run if you're occupied with saving folks, or will they attack while your back's turned?" He pointed back toward the diminishing smoke with the two fingers holding the cigarette. "This Vezzpa, she's new, but she cuts and runs. The money was insured. Forget about it. The people in that facility? Well, let's just say you were lucky today. It could have been worse. From what I hear, Alden's daughter was the only one with life-threatening injuries, but she'll be fine. Miraculously fine. She could have been dead."

"Rayna?" The word blurted from her and she clamped her mouth tight, berating herself. She didn't even know the girl. Not really. "I didn't know. I just ... I just wanted to stop Vezzpa."

Again with the squint! Caitlyn couldn't help but think everything she said was becoming stored within that grey haired head. Filed away for a future prosecution. She couldn't let that happen. If Aunt Mary found out what she had done, how she had put herself and others in danger, it would crush her. After losing Uncle Richard, Caitlyn couldn't lose Aunt Mary.