Chapter 15

The shortcut was easy enough: John and Evie went down the stairs to the first floor, crossed through the cafeteria to Hall B, then passed through one of the outside walkways, leading them to the hallway of Roland's class. 

Evie looked around the hallway, then peeked into the classroom momentarily before turning back to John, confused. "Weird, he's not here."

He hummed. "You sure he didn't skip?" John asked. 

Evie shook her head. "Roland's never skipped before. We can't really afford to."

Ah, right. Attending Wellston just through academics must be hard. Here's another moment John found himself grateful for his level.

"Call him, he's probably still around." 

Evie nodded, walking along with John as she called Roland to try and hear around for his ringtone. The first two times she tried they couldn't hear it, but thankfully on the third try, they heard it briefly. And if that wasn't enough...

"You think you can ignore me for your damn phone?! Shut that shit off! It's so annoying!" They heard someone order, a girl. 

"Oh no," Evie said, her voice filled with worry as she hastened and John followed suit, taking the lead with a grumble.

Here we go again.

They rounded a corner that led to an exit outside and John slammed the door open, making whoever it was that decided to be a bitch today put their attention on him; His glare became directed at a girl with blue hair—styled in pigtails and a fringe—and red eyes that glowed from her activated ability, who turned back to look at whoever made the noise, an annoyed expression on her face. 

"Who the hell are you two? Buzz off to somewhere else!" She tried to intimidate.

John's attention shifted to the ones who were on the floor; There was Roland, of course—who somehow looked both relieved and worried at John underneath the scuffs on his face and a nasty bruise on his cheek—as well as a boy whom John hadn't seen before. He had neatly combed hair that almost shined golden-blonde and pecan-brown eyes; He didn't appear much better either.

"Roland! Dylan!" Evie called out as ran forward to help them, but was pushed back by the girl, almost falling back but was able to steady herself.

"You deaf or something, bitch? What's a low-tier like you gonna do?" She taunted, ready to land a backhand on the girl.

Evie shot her hands up to protect her face from the hit, but it was never delivered, and she opened her eyes to see John with his hand gripped onto the other girl's wrist, not allowing it to budge.

She winced, muttering an "Agh" of pain as John continued to pull back her wrist, "Hey, let me go assh—!" 

She wasn't able to realize John had let go of her wrist before she felt the back of his fist slam across her face, making her step back in confusion as she placed her palm to her mouth, feeling the iron taste of blood in her mouth.

"Shut up," John said in annoyance. "Now if you're smart, you'll fuck off before things get worse for you." He said while Evie had gone to help up Roland. 

To John's surprise, it was Dylan who spoke up. "Y-Yeah, just back off, Clio! That's John! He fought against Seraphina!"

He knows me? 

"Oh shut up, pipsqueak! As if someone let that would bother hanging around losers like you!" Clio said, turning her eyes back to John. "You're gonna pay for that!"

John blinked blankly at the girl, inhaling, then exhaling. "Fine." He said, dropping his backpack and beginning to roll up the sleeves of his vest.

Clio looked at him with confusion and annoyance. She would've gone to attack him already, but...there was something about him that began to make her nervous.