Chapter Nine: A Measure of Worth

After several hours, the carriage continued its journey through the dense forest, Evelyn handed one of the books that Bridget had packed to Lady Dawn, who began to read it. In the silence, Evelyn's nerves grew again, but this time, not because of her lady. She didn't know what kind of world they would find themselves in, and she worried about how things would turn out.

"Have you ever met the Demon Lord, my lady?" Evelyn asked curiously.

"No, I haven't," Dawn replied, her eyes still scanning the pages of the book.

Evelyn couldn't help but wonder about the stories she had heard regarding the Demon Lord. "Are the stories about him true?" she asked tentatively.

Dawn glanced up, meeting Evelyn's gaze with her crimson eyes. "I'm not certain, but I suppose we'll find out soon enough," she said cryptically, giving nothing away.

A few more moments passed, and suddenly, the carriage came to an abrupt halt, and Dawn heard loud voices outside. She looked out the window to get a better look and could see masked figures surrounding them, brandishing weapons.

Dawn's brows furrowed.

"What is it?" Evelyn asked, worriedly.

"It appears we are under attack," Dawn said and Evelyn began to fret.

"Oh, dear. What do we do?" She asked, frantically.

Dawn gave Evelyn a reassuring nod before stepping out of the carriage, her hand instinctively reaching for the hilt of the sword at her side. "Stay here," she instructed firmly.

Evelyn's heart raced with fear. "My lady, please stay in the carriage!" she pleaded quietly, worried for Dawn's safety. Dawn ignored her, shutting the door on her way out.

She approached the front of the carriage, with her hand remaining on her sword just in case she needed to draw it quickly. Her eyes narrowed with irritation as she saw the three men with their weapons pointed at the two attendants.

"Bandits? In a forest? How terribly cliché," she remarked, her voice laced with sarcasm. The bandits and the attendants turned towards her, when they heard her voice.

The soldier and coachman, alarmed by the situation, urged her to return to the safety of the carriage. "My lady, go back inside! It's dangerous out there," the soldier pleaded, his concern evident.

Dawn turned her gaze to them, her resolve unwavering. "I'd rather not, gentlemen," she replied calmly, her hand still on the hilt of her sword. Her attention then shifted back to the masked figures. "Get out of our way, or you won't leave unscathed," she warned the bandits, her tone authoritative and commanding.

One of the bandits, trying to taunt her, asked, "What's a little girl like you going to do? Scold me?" His companions erupted into mocking laughter.

Without hesitation, Dawn lifted her skirt and reached for her hidden dagger, her movements swift and precise, and threw it at one of the laughing men. The dagger flew like an arrow and struck its target in the abdomen. The bandit's laughter turned into a gasp of pain, and he fell to the ground, blood beginning to pool in his mouth. The remaining two masked figures fell silent, watching their comrade as he went down.

Dawn remained composed and unfazed as she looked at the remaining bandits. "Anyone else have any smart remarks?" she challenged, her icy gaze daring them to make a move.

Infuriated, the two remaining bandits rushed at her, brandishing their weapons. Dawn met their attacks with a grace that seemed almost effortless. Her movements were fluid, a deadly dance of steel as she parried their blows with precision and skill.