Part 1

The candle had almost lost its light, when Greysen Yonge set down his book. Handwritten documents were scattered around his mahogany desk. His fingertips were dark with stains. Greysen picked up the quill and jotted down some words on a half written page.

Satisfied, he stood up, and stretched his back. Cracks erupted from his spine. He cringed at the noise. He was getting old- too old.

He limped around the room, his left leg aching from the lack of use in the last few hours. Information filled his head, his mind reeled around ideas of the contents in his book.

He went to his window, and gazed out at the streets of his hometown. There were people milling about, even at the latest times of the night. Drunken men staggered out of inns, calling out to any person with a figure of a woman. They would be passed out soon if they didn't find shelter. They were easy prey for thieves and possibly murders.

His once quaint town had grown in size since he was a child. He looked at disdain of the variety of people laying on the streets: the homeless, drunks, prostitutes. His home used to be safe, but going out at night now proved to be a challenge, especially with his older age.

He absentmindedly rubbed his sore leg, wincing at the sore muscles. His constant aches were getting worse, just as predicted. It was getting harder and harder to travel every passing year.

He had called many physicians to see what was wrong with him. They said it was early stages of arthritis- it was common at his age- but he thought different. Not after what happened in Oakhaven. 

Greysen was a scholar, a voyager of books. He dedicated his entire being to knowledge. He had always been like that since a young age. He never joined in with his peers and was even more unimpressed with the prospect of marriage.

That's why he decided to travel around Europe, taking his teachings to other towns. Preaching about the Lord, and his works on Earth. 

Despite his missionary work, he'd spent most his life alone, only finding fulfillment in his books. Unfortunately, he was the only child to his parents and the only heir to their land, which caused a lot of arguments. But overall, there was nothing his parents could do, and accepted him and the end of their lineage.

He was completely alone now. His parents died when he was one and twenty and he inherited their home and small plot of land. However, with the expansion of the town, he ended up selling their childhood home and land and bought an extravagant home- something designed more for his taste. And somewhere he can hide from the ugly truth of the world.

But no longer, he thought. He glanced back to his scrawled work, and was tempted to continue his work. He didn't feel tired- although the dark bags under his eyes and stated otherwise- he never was anymore. Not when screams and voices plagued his dreams. Not when there were unclean creatures out in this world... cursing the very ground God had made.

A lovely face rose, from the depth of his mind, making his stomach churn. Youthful, bright, intelligent eyes, and shining hair. His frown deepened and he cursed silently. No, he had banished her from the depth of his mind. Surely, she wouldn't come back now. His leg throbbed with new anticipation. Maybe it was time to go back. Go back to the place it all started.

She and the others were out there, haunting their victims and claiming new ones. But how would he find them and how could he prove it?

At the same time, miles and miles away, within the small village of Oakhaven, the full moon beamed down in full force- causing the shadows to grow and move with noticeable anticipation. There was no movement coming from within the village. Everyone was deep within their slumber, unknowing of the danger around them.