Part 3

Leanne kept to herself the rest of the week. She could feel the watchful eyes of her brother and father on her as she worked. Every time she went meet their eyes, they averted their gaze and refused to look at her. 

She wished she knew the reason why. Part of her, panicked. Hopefully, they hadn't found out yet. But surely, they never would. Not unless someone told them, or worse, they caught her. It didn't make sense. They would be cross at her, not look at her like she was a pitiful child. 

She found solace when they left the small house to work in the fields and tending the animals. 

There was a period of time when Leo would leave to work without Father. When her mother fell ill, her father refused to leave his wife's side. Just like Leanne, the responsibility was put solely on Leo.

Poor Leo. She didn't know he could handle tending the fields on his own. Not without Father's careful eye. 

Leo was sixteen, nearly seventeen years of age. She had full confidence he could run the fields alone. But she worried when he came home every night exhausted only to sleep before supper was ready. 

It wasn't until Leo's horse was spooked by lightening and was nearly was trampled and almost cut his leg off with the metal blade, before Father started helping again. 

Leanne was irritated that her father had never left her mother's side. Especially before Leo's accident. As a child, she viewed her father's dedication as a sign of true love. But as she got older and the chores were handed down to their two offspring, she became annoyed by his unwillingness to help while her mother was ill. 

The truth was, her mother was always sick. They didn't know if she would get better each time. Leanne couldn't remember a time when she wasn't in bed. Her mother's illnesses were consistent. Her body only getting better for a month or two before she was back, confined in her bed. 

Now, it was Leanne's responsibility to care for her and the household while the two male figures were out. 

Leanne scrubbed the clothes in front of her with furious determination. The bin was already filled with muddied water, and she wasn't even a third of the way through yet. Warm wind whipped her face as she dunked more clothes under the water. 

Leanne was nearly halfway done with her chores of the morning. Her heart sang the moment she'd be done and escape for an hour. Hope strengthened her resolve as she worked faster. Knowing her father and brother wouldn't be back until dusk. 

Before long, she heard horse hooves heading towards the road. She looked up and saw a familiar looking horse and wagon. Just on time. 

She stood up, and brushed the grass off her brown dress, and headed towards the front of the house to greet the Copestake family. 

Leanne saw there was their usual bunch. Mr. Copestake and his oldest son, Ailen. "Good Afternoon," she called out once the horse and wagon was to her. 

"Afternoon," Mr. Copestake greeted, taking off his head. "I have a load of wood. Is your father around?"

The dark bags that surrounded the older man's eyes didn't go unnoticed by Leanne. And Ailen looked like he hadn't had sun in months. His skin looked papery and unnaturally pale. She was afraid she she looked harder she'd see his veins. She avoided his eye contact. 

She smiled, pointing at the field. "Yes, in the fields, sir. Leo can help too." The older man thanked her with a thin smile. 

There was a moments pause before Mr. Copestake said, "I hope your Ma gets better. We miss your family in church."

Leanne bowed her head. "Thank you." She wanted to console the two men about Royse, but she knew it wasn't her place to. Mr. Copestake slapped the reigns to travel towards the fields. She turned to go finish the laundry.