Part 2

Leonard Bolton detested going into the market square. Although their town was small, it was constantly crowded, blocking his path, squeezing through people. Not to mention, the weather was always miserable, with either rain or a strong wind. But he couldn't refuse, not after his mother had come down with a cold. 

His home was not far from Oakhaven. At a steady pace he would get into town in half an hour. 

There were several things that needed while his mother was out of commission. Surprisingly, the weather was fairly pleasant, only partly cloudy. 

Leo walked down the makeshift path keeping his head down as he rattled the errand list to himself, in case he forgot what he needed. Much to his dismay, the winding dirt path snaked around to the edge of the forest. Over the course of time, travelers had cut out a path in the grass, which led to a road. 

Being near the forest creeped him out. It was said it was bad omen to look directly into it. 

Leo would do it. He didn't have time to go back. Especially not this late in the afternoon.

"Hold on!" 

Leo turned around to see Leanne, his sister, running after him. He groaned, watching with slight amusement and irritation, as she ran with her dark dress hiked above her ankles. Carefully maneuvering her skirts out of the nearly dried puddles dotting along the path. 

She was out of breath by the time she caught up with him. She wiped off the imaginary dust on her skirt, and resorted her bonnet. He noted a thin sheen of sweat covered her upper lip, which she wiped away quickly. 

"Leanne, you know Mother would kill you if she saw you running like that," Leo commented, with his eyebrow raised slightly. "It's not proper."

"So what if she did? She's not here," Leanne clipped back. "Besides I'm wearing proper clothing. Isn't that enough?"

Leanne was seventeen months younger than him, but just as tall and just as witty. They could be twins, both taking after their mother with their brown hair, honey colored eyes, and sun-kissed skin. Although, at the moment, Leanne was several shades lighter from staying in the house. 

It was, Leo thought disappointed. "What are you even doing here anyway?" Leo demanded. 

"Mother promised I could come with. I worked all morning doing the chores. Besides, I've been cooped up in that shed all week. I am bound to go crazy," She said. "Plus, Sigourney usually helps her Ma today." 

Leo sighed and mulled over the idea of her sister taking along. 

If she tagged along, it might take longer to get into town, and even longer to stay back. Especially if she found her friend.

A strict no was on the tip of his tongue before he paused for a moment. Leanne stood staring expectantly at him. She had spent most of the week, taking care of Mother, slaving over an open fire, and working diligently in the gardens. She never complained, always doing her work. However, it would be a great help if there was a lighter load to carry. Plus he would have company while they travelled near the forest. 

He shrugged. "Alright, but we can't stall. We don't want Father coming home to an empty table. And we go at my speed."  

Surprising, the walk went quicker than expected. Leanne kept quiet at a steady pace with him, although he noticed her limping towards the end of the travel. Just as expected, the town was in a hustling around, getting last minute food, speaking with neighbors, and selling their wares. 

With Leo's permission, Leanne immediately sought out her friend, while Leo was expected run the errands. It took him longer than needed, with the lines, and the constant breaks of having short, meaningless conversations with family friends.